Individual 401(k) Plan
If you’re self-employed or run an owner-only business, you can make substantial contributions toward your retirement with an Individual 401(k) plan. It’s easy to administer and has many of the same benefits as a traditional 401(k). Best of all, you direct how your contributions are invested.
What are the fees and commissions?
- Monthly service fees: $0
- $0 account open or maintenance fees. Other account fees, fund expenses, and brokerage commissions may apply1.
- Commissions: $6.95 per online trade;2 $0 per Schwab ETF online trade in your Schwab account3
There are no fees to open or maintain your account. Other fees may apply; please see Account Pricing.
What do I get with this Individual 401(k) plan?
Every Schwab account comes with one-on-one investment help and guidance. With this account, you’ll also get:
- Higher potential contribution limits than SEP-IRA and profit-sharing plans
- Ability to make profit-sharing contributions and salary deferrals
- Tax-deductible contributions and tax-deferred earnings
- Flexible annual contributions
- Retirement planning tools and resources
- 24/7 service and support
Take the next step.
Ready to establish a Individual 401(k) plan? Get detailed instructions above in Establish Your Plan.
Need help? Call 866-855-6637.
1. See the Charles Schwab Pricing Guide for Individual Investors ("the Guide") and any amendments to the Guide for comprehensive details on fees.
2. Restrictions apply: The $6.95 commission does not apply to foreign stock transactions, large block trading transactions requiring special handling, or restricted stock transactions. All broker-assisted and automated phone trades are subject to service charges. See the Charles Schwab Pricing Guide for details. Employee equity compensation transactions are subject to separate commission schedules.
3. Restrictions apply: Online trades of Schwab ETFs™ are commission-free at Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. (member SIPC), while trades of third-party ETFs are subject to commissions. Broker-assisted and automated phone trades are subject to service charges. A minimum deposit of $1,000 is required to open most Schwab brokerage accounts. Waivers may apply. See the Charles Schwab Pricing Guide for details. All ETFs are subject to management fees and expenses.
Investors should consider carefully information contained in the prospectus, including investment objectives, risks, charges, and expenses. You can obtain a prospectus by visiting www.schwabetfs.com. Please read the prospectus carefully before investing.
Investment returns will fluctuate and are subject to market volatility, so that an investor's shares, when redeemed or sold, may be worth more or less than their original cost. Unlike mutual funds, shares or ETFs are not individually
redeemable directly with the ETF.
This information is not intended to be a substitute for specific individualized tax, legal, or investment planning advice. Where specific advice is necessary or appropriate, Schwab recommends consultation with a qualified tax advisor, CPA, financial planner, or investment manager.
Account must be approved and funded before trading can occur.
Schwab ETFs are distributed by SEI Investments Distribution Co. (SIDCO). SIDCO is not affiliated with Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.