Schwab Personal Trust Services.
Professional trust management to help you prepare for tomorrow.
Ready to get started?
For questions regarding trust and estate planning, we invite you to contact your Schwab Financial Consultant, visit your local branch, or browse additional resources on trust and estate planning on our website.
To speak with someone about how to name Charles Schwab Trust Company as current or successor trustee to invest and administer your trust, we invite you to contact your Schwab Financial Consultant, visit your local branch, or contact Schwab Personal Trust Services at 877-862-4304 or SPTS@schwab.com.
Download or print Personal Trust Planning Checklist and Standard Trust Provisions
For questions regarding Schwab's Administrative Trustee Services*, we invite you to contact Charles Schwab Trust Company of Delaware at 800-745-7721 or CSTCD@schwab.com.
For questions regarding Schwab's business retirement plans, we invite you to contact your Schwab Financial Consultant, visit your local branch, or contact Schwab's Retirement Business Services department at 877-456-0777.
Or you may browse additional resources on Schwab's business retirement plans on our website.
Why a corporate trustee?
Working with a corporate trustee like Charles Schwab Trust Company can give you:
- Objectivity. We will administer your trust according to your wishes and in a professional and impartial manner.
- Experience. We have the expertise to carry out all duties associated with serving as your trustee, including the investment of trust assets, administration of your trust in accordance with its terms, professional and timely recordkeeping, and preparation and filing of trust income tax returns.
- Continuity. We can provide seamless, responsive trust administration and trust portfolio management for as long as your trust endures.
We understand that life takes many different turns along the way. We are committed to providing dedicated, ongoing trust administration that upholds your wishes for the future. If you're ready for a transparent partner to administer and invest your trust, we look forward to working with you.
Types of trustees.
Charles Schwab Trust Company (CSTC) assumes the investment, administrative, and fiduciary responsibilities of managing your trust according to the terms defined in your trust document.
CSTC acts as a co-trustee with the individual(s) you designate. As a co-trustee, CSTC assumes full investment management and administrative responsibilities for the trust but may share discretionary disbursement decision-making with the co-trustee(s) according to the trust provisions.
CSTC steps in once you or the individual you name as sole trustee or co-trustee is no longer willing or able to serve.
Types of trusts we support.
Wealth Protection and Transfer
- Living Trusts (Revocable Trusts)
- Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts (ILIT)
- Spousal Lifetime Access Trusts (SLAT)
- Grantor Retained Trusts (GRAT, GRIT, GRUT)
- Intentionally Defective Grantor Trusts (IDGT)
- Health and Education Exclusion Trusts (HEET)
- Qualified Personal Residence Trusts (QPRT)
- Charitable Remainder Trusts (CRAT, CRUT)
- Charitable Lead Trusts (CLAT, CLUT)
- Marital and Family/Credit Shelter Trusts
- Qualified Terminable Interest Property (QTIP) Trusts
- Generation-Skipping Trusts (GST)
- Qualified Domestic Trusts (QDOT)
- Testamentary Trusts (trusts created under your Will)
Advantages of using Nevada's favorable trust situs include:
Advantages of using Nevada's favorable trust situs include:
- No Nevada state income tax on trust-retained income and capital gains*
- Ability for a trustee to administer Dynasty trusts which can last for multiple generations
- Ability to utilize Nevada Asset Protection Trusts
- Ability to make certain types of modifications to existing irrevocable trusts without court involvement
* Administrative Trustee Services are provided by Charles Schwab Trust Company of Delaware. Based upon the circumstances of the trust, trust income may be taxable by other states. Charles Schwab Trust Company and Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. do not provide legal or tax advice. Consult with your legal counsel and tax advisors about your particular circumstances.
You can enjoy the service you've come to expect from Schwab while potentially leveraging the advantages of a favorable trust situs, especially with:
- A Financial Consultant assisting with your brokerage accounts.
- CSTC representatives providing trust administration and trust investment management.
- An assigned point of contact assisting your beneficiaries.
Our investment management philosophy.
CTSC offers sophisticated yet uncomplicated investment solutions tailored to address and meet your beneficiaries' needs and circumstances. Those who choose us as their corporate trustee enjoy the peace of mind of knowing that the organization they've come to trust and rely on will carry out their legacies in a professional and cost-effective manner.
A team of trust officers and investment officers is specifically assigned to your trust. Your Financial Consultant is available to continue to help you with your brokerage accounts.
Estate planning for financial peace of mind.
A trust is just one part of your estate plan. Schwab can assist you with other aspects of protecting your financial legacy as well.
A trust is a legal relationship in which one or more persons or entities (trustees) holds legal title to property and manages it for the benefit of one or more persons or entities (beneficiaries).
A trust can potentially accomplish a wide variety of objectives:
- Provide continuity in management of trust assets in the event of your incapacity or death.
- Help your beneficiaries minimize the expense, delay, and publicity of probate.
- Allow you to create rules for how your assets will be preserved or distributed and to name a trustee to carry out your wishes.
- Gifting strategies utilizing trusts during lifetime may minimize transfer/estate taxes.
- Allow for the implementation of charitable giving strategies.
There are many types of trusts available, depending on your and your family's unique needs. Your attorney or estate planner can help you determine which type of trust is the best choice for you; your Financial Consultant can help you establish the trust with CSTC.
- Income and principal distributions according to the trust document
- Preparation and filing of fiduciary federal and state tax returns
- Accurate and timely accounting, record keeping, and reporting
- Professional investment management of your trust assets
- Portfolio adjustment to meet changing market demands
- Education of beneficiaries on investment resources and financial planning
View Schwab Personal Trust Services™ fees and information here.
Charles Schwab Trust Company also offers Schwab Wealth Trust Services™ for clients with more complex or unique trust needs, and $10 million plus in assets held at Schwab. View the fees and information here.
The individual (or individuals) who creates and funds the trust with their accumulated wealth, including financial and real estate assets.
The party responsible for the administration and/or investment management of trust assets. A trustee can be:
- Individual trustee—usually a family member or friend chosen to manage trust assets.
- Corporate trustee—a bank or trust company, like Charles Schwab Trust Company, that specializes in trust investment management and trust administration.
- Successor trustee—named to step in and manage the trust when the current trustee is no longer able or willing to continue due to incapacity, death, or resignation.
This is the court process of distributing assets after death of the grantor. Trusts can help minimize this potentially time-consuming, costly, and public process.
A recipient of trust asset distributions, such as individuals or charities.
We're here to help with your personal trust.
Contact Schwab Personal Trust Services
If you would like to discuss how Schwab can provide professional trust management for your personal trust, email us or call 877-862-4304 to speak with a Trust Services Consultant.
If you would like to learn more about trust and estate planning, we invite you to contact your Schwab Financial Consultant, visit your local branch, or browse additional resources on trust and estate planning on our website.