Schwab Personal Trust Services.
Professional trust management to help you prepare for tomorrow.
Ready to get started?
- I'd like to learn more about trust and estate planning.
- I'm ready to appoint Charles Schwab Trust Company as trustee to invest and administer my trust, either now or in the future.
- I have an investment advisor who is independent from Schwab, and I'd like to learn more about how Schwab can serve as administrative trustee of my trust while keeping my independent investment advisor.
- I'd like to learn more about how Schwab can administer my company's retirement plan.
Working with a corporate trustee like Charles Schwab Trust Company can give you:
- Objectivity. We will administer your trust according to your wishes and in a professional and impartial manner.
- Experience. We have the expertise to carry out all duties associated with serving as your trustee, including the investment of trust assets, administration of your trust in accordance with its terms, professional and timely recordkeeping, and preparation and filing of trust income tax returns.
- Continuity. We can provide seamless, responsive trust administration and trust portfolio management for as long as your trust endures.
We understand that life takes many different turns along the way. We are committed to providing dedicated, ongoing trust administration that upholds your wishes for the future. If you're ready for a transparent partner to administer and invest your trust, we look forward to working with you.
Types of trustees.
Charles Schwab Trust Company (CSTC) assumes all of the investment, administrative, and fiduciary responsibilities of managing your trust according to the terms defined in your trust document.
CSTC acts as a co-trustee with the individual(s) you designate. As a co-trustee, CSTC assumes full investment management and administrative responsibilities for the trust but may share discretionary disbursement decision-making with the co-trustee(s) according to the trust provisions.
CSTC steps in once you or the individual you name as sole trustee or co-trustee is no longer willing or able to serve.
Types of trusts we support.
Wealth Protection and Transfer
- Living Trusts (Revocable Trusts)
- Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts (ILIT)
- Spousal Lifetime Access Trusts (SLAT)
- Grantor Retained Trusts (GRAT, GRIT, GRUT)
- Intentionally Defective Grantor Trusts (IDGT)
- Health and Education Exclusion Trusts (HEET)
- Qualified Personal Residence Trusts (QPRT)
- Charitable Remainder Trusts (CRAT, CRUT)
- Charitable Lead Trusts (CLAT, CLUT)
- Marital and Family/Credit Shelter Trusts (A & B)
- Qualified Terminable Interest Property (QTIP) Trusts
- Generation-Skipping Trusts (GST)
- Qualified Domestic Trusts (QDOT)
- Testamentary Trusts (trusts created by your Will)
Advantages of using Nevada's favorable trust situs include:
- No Nevada state income tax on trust-retained income and capital gains.*
- An extension of the rule against perpetuities allowing your trust to serve several generations without being subject to state and/or generation-skipping tax.
- A firm posture toward creditor protection for beneficiaries.
* Based upon the circumstances of the trust, trust income may be taxable by other states.
You can enjoy the service you've come to expect from Charles Schwab while potentially leveraging the advantages of a favorable trust situs, especially with:
- A Financial Consultant assisting with your brokerage accounts.
- A CSTC representative providing trust administration and trust portfolio management.
- An assigned point of contact assisting your beneficiaries.
CTSC offers sophisticated yet uncomplicated investment solutions tailored to address and meet our clients' needs and circumstances. Those who choose us as their corporate trustee enjoy the peace of mind of knowing that the organization they've come to trust and rely on will carry out their legacies in a professional and cost-effective manner.
A team of trust officers and investment officers is specifically assigned to your trust. Your Financial Consultant is available to continue to help you with your brokerage accounts.
Estate planning for financial peace of mind.
A trust is just one part of your estate plan. Schwab can assist you with other aspects of protecting your financial legacy as well.
Fee schedule and information.
|Marketable Securities||Annual Rate|
|First $5 million||0.50%|
|Next $5 million||0.25%|
|Next $15 million||0.10%|
|Above $25 million||0.05%|
|Minimum annual fee = $5,000|
|Life Insurance Policies (Whole Life, Universal and Term)||Annual Rate|
|Each additional policy||$500|
|Residential Owner-Occupied and Vacation Property§||Annual Rate|
|Residential Rental Property (1-4 unit)||Annual Rate|
|Each property, first $2 million||base fee plus 0.90%|
|Each property, next $3 million||0.70%|
|Each property, above $5 million||0.50%|
|Base fee per property = $2,000; third-party fees may also apply|
Charles Schwab Trust Company (CSTC) charges the above fee(s) for trust administration, investment and asset management, tax return preparation and filing, and other ordinary services.
§Fees are subject to change
Additional fee information.
Additional fees and reimbursement expenses.
Fees or expenses for special services provided by CSTC will be charged upon delivery of such services and are in addition to ordinary fees for services. Examples of special services may include, but are not limited to, dispute resolution, litigation expenses, loan/note liability management, or real property management. Any fees paid to a distribution advisor, trust protector, or other co-trustee required by the Trust are separate from and in addition to CSTC's fees. All additional fees for special services will be charged as an expense of the Trust if permitted by the governing document or applicable law.
Early termination fee.
The full minimum annual fee may be assessed on any trust that terminates before CSTC has served as trustee for a minimum of one year
Fees are calculated and charged quarterly. CSTC fees are subject to change upon notice.
CSTC may, at its sole and exclusive discretion, decline at any time to serve as trustee. All trust documents and assets must be reviewed by CSTC prior to the acceptance of an appointment as trustee.
§Charles Schwab Trust Company may retain third-party property management companies and real estate brokers to assist with the administration of certain properties. Fees paid to third parties relating to real property management and transactions are charged separately as an expense of the trust. Third-party management and transaction fees for rental property may be substantial. Ask your Trust Services Consultant for more information.
Schwab Personal Trust Services are provided by Charles Schwab Trust Company (CSTC). CSTC and Charles Schwab & Co., Inc., Member SIPC are separate but affiliated companies and wholly owned subsidiaries of The Charles Schwab Corporation. Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. provides custody, securities brokerage, and related back-office services to the trusts for which CSTC serves as trustee.
- What is a trust?
- Why establish a trust?
- How do I know what type of trust is right for me?
- What type of services does CSTC provide?
The individual (or individuals) who creates and funds the trust with their accumulated wealth, including financial and real estate assets.
The party responsible for the administration and/or investment management of trust assets. A trustee can be:
- Individual trustee—usually a family member or friend chosen to manage trust assets.
- Corporate trustee—a bank or trust company, like Charles Schwab Trust Company, that specializes in trust investment management and administration.
- Successor trustee—named to step in and manage the trust when the current trustee is no longer able or willing to continue due to incapacity, death, or resignation.
This is the court process of distributing assets after death of the grantor. Trusts can help avoid this potentially time-consuming, costly, and public process.
A recipient of trust asset distributions, such as individual heirs or charities.
We're here to help with your personal trust.
We're here to help with your personal trust.
Contact Schwab Personal Trust Services
If you would like to discuss how Schwab can provide professional trust management for your personal trust, email us or call 877-862-4304 to speak with a Trust Services Consultant.
If you would like to learn more about trust and estate planning, we invite you to contact your Schwab Financial Consultant, visit your local branch, or browse additional resources on trust and estate planning on our website.