Market volatility FAQs for Schwab Intelligent Portfolios® clients
Market volatility can test the nerves of any investor. But that doesn't mean every investor is facing the same challenges. We know that your time horizon and your risk tolerance influence the questions and concerns you have right now. And we’re listening.
I’m invested for the long term but feel like I should do something.
- Why has my portfolio declined even though it's diversified? Can it recover?
- I'm less likely to meet my long-term goal now. What should I do?
- Can I temporarily shift my investment allocation to minimize losses?
- Can I temporarily pause my contributions?
Needs Money Now or Will Soon
I need the money now or will soon.
- I'm nearing retirement, so I chose a conservative portfolio. Why have I still seen my portfolio decline?
- I need my portfolio to generate income, and now my probability of success is lower. How can I get back on track?
- Should I completely move my portfolio to cash? How do I do that?
- I tried to sell out to cash. Why is the transaction taking so long?
Risk Tolerance Has Changed
I’m finding it hard to stomach these big swings.
- Can my portfolio bounce back from these losses?
- Should I change my investment allocation to minimize volatility? How do I do that?
- Why is my account trading so much? Is that good or bad?