Instruction and Informed Consent to Allow Third-Party [Provider] Access to Your Account Information
Updated: July 30, 2021
Your Instruction to Schwab and Informed Consent. On this page you can instruct Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. and its affiliates ("Schwab," "we," or "us") to provide access to your Schwab account information ("Account Information") to a third party, such as a non-Schwab firm providing financial applications, computer software or other programs (each a "Third Party Provider") used to provide data aggregation or other services to you (collectively, these services referred to as the "Services").
By instructing us to permit a Third Party Provider access to your Account Information and by clicking "Continue" below, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions set forth herein and providing your informed consent. You are accepting the responsibilities and risks associated with this instruction, including those summarized below. We may change, suspend, or cancel this instruction at any time.
We reserve the right to amend or update these terms and conditions at any time, with or without notice, and such amended or updated terms and conditions shall automatically apply and be posted on our website at: https://www.schwab.com/legal/third-party-terms.
The Account Information You Will Be Sharing. For each Schwab account, including brokerage, loan, line of credit, retirement account, and/or deposit account, that you instruct us to allow a Third Party Provider to access, you are authorizing Schwab to allow that Third Party Provider to access and use your Account Information, including the following categories and elements:
- Account descriptors, holdings, balances, transaction history (such as buys, sells, journals, dividends, commissions and fees, payments, interest, ATM Activity, adjustments, deposits, withdrawals, transfers, checks, taxes, and corporate actions).
- Information that may be considered to be personally identifiable information (which means information relating to individuals (such as you) who can be identified or who are identifiable, directly or indirectly, from the information), including name, address, email, and phone number.
- Other account details and information, such as routing and account number, data utilized to validate account ownership and move money out of your account or for other account transactions, and investment, checking, and savings account statements.
Schwab does not customize the Account Information a Third Party Provider can use and access, which means the amount and type of Account Information available to such Third Party Provider may be greater (or less) than is necessary for the Third Party Provider to provide the Services.
We will not share your Social Security Number or Schwab account login credentials (specifically, your IDs and passwords). You should safeguard the foregoing and you should never share your Schwab account access information with anyone, including with a Third Party Provider.
Third Party Provider And Those They Share Your Account Information With Are Your Authorized Persons. You agree that by instructing us to grant a Third Party Provider access to your Account Information, you are authorizing any and all actions that the Third Party Provider undertakes as a result, including how a Third Party Provider uses, shares, or otherwise acts on your Account Information, even if you did not anticipate such actions. This includes actions by the Third Party Provider’s employees and agents, and the actions of any financial apps or other entities the Third Party Provider does business with and/or shares your Account Information (referred to as "Authorized Provider Party"). You understand that allowing access to and the use of Account Information could potentially expose you to increased privacy and security risks, including unauthorized account transactions, loss of funds, identity theft, fraud, and unauthorized disclosure or compromise of your Account Information.
How the Schwab Security Guarantee Applies. What a Third Party Provider or Authorized Provider Party does in connection with your Account and your Account Information is authorized by you, so the Schwab Guarantee does not apply to their actions.
Read more about the Security Guarantee here: https://www.schwab.com/schwabsafe/security-guarantee.
DO NOT SHARE YOUR SCHWAB ACCOUNT ACCESS INFORMATION, INCLUDING LOGIN ID OR PASSWORD, WITH ANYONE (INCLUDING ANY THIRD PARTY PROVIDER OR THROUGH A NON-SCHWAB APPLICATION). THE SECURITY GUARANTEE WILL NOT APPLY.
Some Risks of Allowing Data Access. Once the Third Party Provider has accessed your Account Information and/or shared the Account Information with an Authorized Provider Party, we cannot retrieve it for you, and we are no longer responsible for how the Account Information is secured or used (including whether it is shared with other parties or used in an unauthorized manner or for an improper purpose). This means, for example, that Schwab is not responsible for:
- How your Account Information is used for non-Schwab services offered by a Third Party Provider or Authorized Provider Party, including banking or bill-pay or other digital wallet functions, validation of account ownership, credit decisioning (e.g., when applying for a home mortgage or other loan), money movement out of a Schwab account, or other account-related activity and transactions.
- What happens to your Account Information if a Third Party Provider or Authorized Provider Party experiences a cyber-attack or security breach resulting in the theft, loss, alteration, or unauthorized disclosure or access to, or misuse of your Account Information or uses your Account Information in a way you did not anticipate or authorize.
Schwab cannot guarantee that the Account Information as may be accessed, displayed, or used by the Third Party Provider or Authorized Provider Party is current or otherwise accurate.
IN NO EVENT WILL SCHWAB OR OUR AFFILIATES OR ANY OF OUR LICENSORS AND VENDORS BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, EXEMPLARY, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), OR OTHERWISE) ARISING OUT OF YOUR DECISION TO PERMIT A THIRD PARTY PROVIDER ACCESS TO YOUR ACCOUNT AND YOUR DIRECTION TO US TO PERMIT THAT ACCESS, EVEN IF THEY HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES OR LOSSES. IN ANY EVENT, THE MAXIMUM LIABILITY OF ANY OF THE FOREGOING PARTIES FOR ALL CLAIMS (WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), OR OTHERWISE) OF EVERY KIND ARISING OUT OF THE CODE WILL IN NO EVENT EXCEED TEN DOLLARS ($10). You waive any and all claims, now known or later discovered, that you may have against us and our affiliates, licensors, and vendors arising out of your decision to permit access to your account and your direction to us to permit that access.