Schwab 529 Savings Plan
Start a college fund for your children or a family member with a Schwab 529 College Savings Plan. You can open and contribute to almost any 529 plan, no matter what state you live in and regardless of your age or income.
What are the fees and commissions?
- $0 account open or maintenance fees. Other account fees, fund expenses, and brokerage commissions may apply.1
- Minimum required to open an account: $25.
What are the benefits of a Schwab 529 College Savings Plan account?
With this account, you'll get:
- Tax advantages
- Higher contribution limits than an education savings account
- 24/7 service and support
1. See the Schwab 529 College Savings Plan Guide and Participation Agreement for comprehensive details on fees and expenses.
Learn more about portfolio options, plan performance, or underlying funds.
Start by selecting a static portfolio or an age-based option.
- Static portfolios. Multiple portfolios based on your selected investing style. Your assets will remain within the selected portfolio until you choose a different one.
- Age-based tracks. Selection of investment tracks based on risk tolerance. Your investment is automatically moved through one or more of the portfolios, with the investing style becoming more conservative as the beneficiary nears college age.
- Actively managed funds. Broad exposure to up to 14 professionally managed mutual funds that offer different investments and risks, each with the potential to exceed market expectations.
- Index funds. By investing across six index mutual funds, these diversified portfolios provide a cost-effective opportunity to track the performance of major market indices.
Read more about these portfolios and how they work in the Schwab 529 College Savings Plan Brochure.
- American Beacon Funds
- American Century Investments®
- Baird Funds
- JP Morgan Funds
- Laudus Funds™
- Schwab Funds®
- Metropolitan West Asset Management
- Vanguard Funds
Take the next step.
Get started with a Schwab 529 College Savings Plan today:
Need help? Call 888-903-3863.
Before investing, carefully consider the plan’s investment objectives, risks, charges, and expenses. This information and more about the plan can be found in the Schwab 529 College Savings Plan Guide and Participation Agreement, available from Charles Schwab & Co., Inc., and should be read carefully before investing. If you are not a Kansas taxpayer, consider before investing whether your or the beneficiary's home state offers a 529 plan that provides its taxpayers with state tax and other benefits not available through this plan. As with any investment, it is possible to lose money by investing in this plan.
An investment in a money market fund is neither insured nor guaranteed by the FDIC or any other government agency. Although the fund seeks to preserve the value of your investment at $1 per share, it is possible to lose money by investing in the fund. Please note that bank deposits are FDIC-insured up to $250,000, while non-bank independent products have no such guarantees.
The Schwab 529 College Savings Plan is available through Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. and is managed by American Century Investment Management, Inc. The plan was created by the Kansas State Legislature under the provisions of Section 529 of the Internal Revenue Code and is administered by Kansas State Treasurer Ron Estes. Notice: Accounts established under the Schwab 529 College Savings Plan and their earnings are neither insured nor guaranteed by the State of Kansas, the Kansas State Treasurer, American Century Investments®, or Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. Accounts established under the Schwab 529 College Savings Plan are domiciled at American Century Investments and not Schwab.
American Century Investments receives remuneration from fund companies, including American Beacon Advisors, Metropolitan West Management, LLC, and JP Morgan Funds for recordkeeping, shareholder services, and other administrative services associated with funds held in the Schwab 529 College Savings Plan portfolios.
The Laudus Group® of Funds includes the Laudus Mondrian and Laudus U.S. Large Cap Growth Funds, which are part of the Laudus Trust and Laudus Institutional Trust and distributed by ALPS Distributors, Inc.; and the Laudus MarketMasters Funds®, which are part of the Schwab Capital Trust and distributed by Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. ALPS Distributors, Inc. and Charles Schwab Investment Management, Inc. are unaffiliated entities.
Information provided is for general purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for specific individualized tax or legal advice. Where specific advice is necessary or appropriate, please consult a qualified tax or legal advisor.
American Century Investment Services, Inc., Distributor and Underwriter.