Financial Considerations of Moving Abroad

November 6, 2023
More and more Americans are establishing second homes abroad. Here's how to prepare your finances before making the move.

Nearly 9 million Americans live outside the U.S. full or part time, according to estimates by the State Department. And that number may well increase.  

Thanks to technology that makes it easier to work remotely and stay connected to family and friends, decamping for another country has never been easier. 

However, setting up shop abroad can require a good deal of advance preparation—on matters ranging from banking and taxes to health care and estate planning.  

"I advise clients to get the ball rolling as early as possible, as there are several big items you'll need to check off your list to ensure a smooth transition," says George Lee, CFP®, CWS®, director at Schwab Asset Management. 


When planning your move abroad, first make sure your U.S. travel documents are in order. "Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six months beyond the date of your trip, and a few airlines won't allow you to board if this requirement isn't met," says Susan Poss, CFP®, CWS®, a senior wealth advisor at Schwab Wealth Advisory, Inc., in Orlando, Florida. "So, if your passport is nearing expiration, be sure to get it renewed before you even apply for a visa." 

Most nations require a long-stay visa for visits longer than 90 days. However, some countries, like Greece, Portugal, and St. Lucia, offer residency, multiyear visas, and even citizenship to foreigners who invest a minimum amount in real estate or the local economy. Similarly, many countries, such as Italy and Thailand, offer special visas for retirees—typically those ages 55 or above—who meet specific income requirements. 

Next, gather and submit all the necessary documents, which typically will include not just a valid passport and the completed visa application but also proof of accommodation and health insurance and that you have enough money to support yourself during your stay. (That's assuming you aren't seeking official employment or looking to start a business in your new home country, which carries other implications—see "Taxes.") 

Then prepare to be patient. Some embassies are more efficient than others, and many are still working through the backlog created at the height of the COVID-19 pandemic. In some cases, such as when a short-term trip turns into an extended stay, you may want to consult with an immigration lawyer, who can help with everything from renewing visas to establishing permanent residency. 

Visa requirements

To check the visa requirements for your new home country, contact its embassy

To check the visa requirements for your new home country, contact its embassy

contact its embassy. " role="dialog" aria-label="

To check the visa requirements for your new home country, contact its embassy

" id="body_disclosure--media_disclosure--190076" >

To check the visa requirements for your new home country, contact its embassy


Many expatriates maintain dual bank accounts: one in their home country to handle ongoing payments or transfers and another in their destination country. 

Overseas accounts can take time to set up, sometimes requiring a local address that's not a hotel or P.O. box. In the meantime, maintain sufficient funds in a bank that operates globally or that offers reliable access to ATM networks abroad and can process transfers quickly. Some offerings—such as our Schwab Bank Investor Checking™ account—even eliminate foreign transaction fees. 

Here, too, advance planning can help. Notify your U.S. financial institutions that you're leaving and for how long, so when you tap your assets abroad it won't be flagged as fraud. You may also need to report overseas bank and investment accounts annually to the IRS—especially those with balances topping $10,000—or face stiff penalties. 

And don't overlook the currency fluctuations that can affect your purchasing power abroad. "How far will your U.S. dollar go in a different currency—and how might currency fluctuations affect your wealth?" George asks. "I've seen such fluctuations negatively impact a client's wealth—but they can also be used to your advantage." For instance, if the dollar is currently strong against the local currency but you're concerned it will weaken, you may wish to transfer more of your U.S. dollars to your local bank account to capture the advantageous exchange rate. 

Are you planning to travel or move overseas?

Learn how you can bank with confidence with the Schwab Bank Investor Checking account (

Learn how you can bank with confidence with the Schwab Bank Investor Checking account (


Moving abroad invokes the risk of double taxation since the U.S. is one of the few countries that taxes by citizenship, not residence. 

This means in addition to paying taxes to their country of residence, American expats must also pay taxes to the U.S., including on all capital gains, interest, rental, and ordinary income. An IRS provision, the Foreign Tax Credit, can help reduce one's tax exposure in the U.S. There are also dozens of tax treaties between the U.S. and other countries that can further limit the potential for double taxation. 

For longer-term expatriates, the IRS also offers the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, which allows U.S. citizens who can demonstrate they were abroad for 330 full days in a consecutive 12-month period to exclude up to $120,000 in foreign earnings per individual from U.S. taxes for the 2023 tax year and up to $126,500 for 2024.

Also check to see if your state requires you to file taxes. Some states can be aggressive in collecting tax revenues no matter how much of the year you spend away, so it may be worth establishing residence in one of the seven states that have no personal income tax—Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington, or Wyoming—prior to moving overseas. 

Given the potential pitfalls, it's advisable to consult with a qualified tax expert. "Be sure to find a tax attorney who is versed in both domestic and international tax laws—and the potential conflicts between the two," says Lisa Chen, a senior wealth advisor with Schwab Wealth Advisory, Inc.'s Global Advice Team in San Francisco. The U.S. distinguishes between filing as single versus married, for example, and between short- and long-term capital gains, whereas other countries may not honor these distinctions. Tax years, too, may not align, with some countries following the calendar year while others do not. 

"It's worth your time to hire a cross-border CPA, because there are a lot of nuances," Susan says. "Not all accountants understand this." 

Health care

For those who are nearing or in retirement, be aware that Medicare generally won't cover medical expenses incurred outside the U.S. That said, you should generally still sign up for Medicare and any Medicare supplements as soon as you're eligible—typically at age 65—or potentially face stiff penalties. (If you're abroad when you turn 65, you have three months after you return to sign up for Medicare Part B.) If you fail to immediately sign up for Part B, your premiums will increase 10% for every 12-month period during which you were eligible but not enrolled. 

Depending on your country of residence, you could qualify for its national health care plan, which could provide wide-ranging coverage for affordable monthly premiums. If so, consider keeping Medicare Part A (covering hospital care) if you don't have to pay a premium, while forgoing Medicare Advantage and prescription-drug plans. Enrolling in Part B depends in part on whether you anticipate seeing doctors in the U.S. often enough to justify the monthly premiums. 

Whatever your coverage in the U.S., you will likely require separate coverage for your time abroad. Many major insurers, including Aetna, Blue Cross Blue Shield, and Cigna, offer private insurance plans tailored to expats. 

In any event, make sure you remain current with any local immunization mandates, and ask your doctor for electronic copies of medical records you can store in a secure cloud service. 

Estate planning

Updating your estate plan may be necessary to accommodate foreign laws regarding the distribution of assets, inheritance and gift taxes, probate, and succession. "Inadequate planning can lead to assets passing to the wrong beneficiaries or unnecessarily high taxes," Lisa says. 

Nineteen U.S. states and the District of Columbia—plus 20 foreign countries1—recognize a uniform international will. For states and countries that do not, you may need to create a multijurisdictional will or supplement your primary will with a so-called situs will tailored to your adopted country. For example, if you have assets in Delaware, Florida, Spain, and the U.K., an international will would cover assets in Delaware and the U.K., but you may need separate wills for Florida and Spain. 

Be clear in all your wills and documents about how assets should be distributed in both countries, and keep your trustees up to date with instructions on how to act if anything happens to you. Some countries require your executor to be a local resident. In any case, it's important to find an attorney familiar with estate laws in your destination country. 

"If you own real estate or hold or transfer other assets abroad, make sure you understand the estate laws in your adopted country," Susan says. "For example, how should assets be titled to ensure a smooth transition to your intended heirs? Will your assets abroad be subject to probate and/or inheritance taxes? A local estate attorney should be able to provide you with all the necessary information." 


As you prepare to navigate the financial hurdles of moving abroad, don't discount the potential emotional challenges. "Living in another country is a dream for many people, but the reality is that it can be emotionally isolating if you don't have a support system in place," Susan says. 

Before you commit, consider taking a few extended trips to your desired location during different seasons to get a feel for daily living and begin building a community. "You can always come home, of course," George adds, "but it's better to know what you're getting into before you put in the time—and money—that a move abroad requires." 

1The 19 U.S. states that recognize a uniform international will are Alaska, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Vermont, and Virginia. The 20 countries that recognize a uniform international will are Australia, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Ecuador, France, the Holy See, Iran, Italy, Laos, Libya, Niger, Portugal, the Russian Federation, Sierra Leone, Slovenia, the United Kingdom, and the United States. 

Brokerage Products: Not FDIC Insured ∙ No Bank Guarantee ∙ May Lose Value

Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. and Charles Schwab Bank, SSB are separate but affiliated companies and subsidiaries of The Charles Schwab Corporation. Brokerage products, including the Schwab One brokerage account, are offered by Charles Schwab & Co., Inc., Member SIPC. Deposit and lending products, including the Investor Checking account, are offered by Charles Schwab Bank, SSB, Member FDIC and an Equal Housing Lender.

​The Schwab Bank Investor Checking account is available only as a linked account with a Schwab One® brokerage account. The Schwab One brokerage account has no minimum balance requirements, no minimum balance charges, no minimum trade requirements, and there is no requirement to fund this account when opened with a linked Investor Checking account.

Schwab Bank does not assess foreign transaction fees (i.e., a fee to convert US Dollars to local currency) to Schwab Bank clients when you use your Schwab Bank Debit Card to withdraw foreign currency from an ATM, or to pay for a purchase in foreign currency. However, in some cases ATM operators or the merchants may charge a fee on foreign transactions. Foreign transaction fees assessed by third parties are not eligible for reimbursement. The exchange rate into the U.S. dollar equivalent will be determined by the bank at which you conduct the transaction, the ATM network, or Visa depending on the specific arrangements that are in place.

The information provided here is for general informational purposes only and should not be considered an individualized recommendation or personalized investment advice. The investment strategies mentioned here may not be suitable for everyone. Each investor needs to review an investment strategy for his or her own particular situation before making any investment decision. 

All expressions of opinion are subject to change without notice in reaction to shifting market conditions. Data contained herein from third-party providers is obtained from what are considered reliable sources. However, its accuracy, completeness, or reliability cannot be guaranteed. 

Examples provided are for illustrative purposes only and not intended to be reflective of results you can expect to achieve. 

Currencies are speculative, very volatile and are not suitable for all investors.

​This information provided here is for general informational purposes only, and is not intended to be a substitute for specific individualized tax, legal, or investment planning advice. Where specific advice is necessary or appropriate, you should consult with a qualified tax advisor, CPA, Financial Planner, or Investment Manager.

​Schwab Asset Management™ is the dba name for Charles Schwab Investment Management, Inc. Schwab Asset Management and Charles Schwab & Co., Inc., Member SIPC, are separate but affiliated companies and subsidiaries of The Charles Schwab Corporation.

Schwab Wealth Advisory™ ("SWA") is a non‐discretionary investment advisory program sponsored by Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. ("Schwab"). Schwab Wealth Advisory, Inc. ("SWAI") is a Registered Investment Adviser and provides portfolio management for the SWA program. Schwab and SWAI are affiliates and are subsidiaries of The Charles Schwab Corporation.