Schwab Employer-Sponsored Brokerage Account
The Schwab Employer-Sponsored Brokerage Account (ESBA) is a small business retirement plan solution that affords participants the freedom of a brokerage account.
A Schwab ESBA is an employer-sponsored retirement plan funding solution offered in conjunction with registered investment advisors (RIAs), certified public accountants (CPAs), and third-party administrators (TPAs). It’s a small business retirement plan custody solution for plan sponsors with their own plan document and administrator. This solution allows participants to build their own portfolio with a variety of investment vehicles including stocks, bonds, certificates of deposit (CDs), exchange-traded funds (ETFs), and mutual funds, or they may choose to have their account professionally managed by an independent advisor.
Online plan access
Employers and plan administrators can access an online portal providing efficient administration and reporting tools.
More investment choices
Employees can select from thousands of investments available through Schwab, depending on what the plan allows.
Premium research and tools
Participants have access to Schwab's industry-leading resources to find the right investments for them.
ESBA is appropriate for RIAs, CPAs, TPAs and small business owners who:
- Are servicing small business retirement plans.
- Are seeking a wider range of investments.
- Want the ability to see and manage deposit and balance details online.
- Have their own plan documents and administrator.
Schwab does not offer investment advice to ESBA account holders or small business retirement plan sponsors; however, the Schwab ESBA solution permits retirement plan sponsors to allow participants to appoint an independent advisor.
- Schwab charges a low quarterly maintenance fee for ESBA.
- Transaction fees and commissions apply. See the Charles Schwab Pricing Guide for Retirement Plan Accounts for details.
- A Schwab Employer-Sponsored Brokerage Account (ESBA) cannot be included with any other household accounts at Schwab.