Get Schwab Trading Services with any of the following account types. You’ll also be enrolled in our special offer of commission-free equity and options trades with a qualifying net deposit.
Choose your account
To complete this application, you’ll need:
- Social Security number(s)
- Driver's license information
- Employer's name and address (if applicable)
- Statement information for assets or cash you may want to transfer
- Beneficiary information, including Social Security number and contact information
Why Schwab Trading Services
Intuitive trading technology for desktop and mobile devices.
Insights from Schwab and third-party resources.
Ongoing, real-time support from trading specialists.
Resources designed to hone your trading skills.
Exceptional value and low pricing - per online equity trade1.See full pricing details
See how Schwab rates with industry analysts and our clients.
Investor’s Business Daily, 2016
Clients Speak™ Ratings and Reviews
Among 252 client reviews as of 12/23/2016.
For questions or information on more brokerage account types
for questions or information on more brokerage account types
Schwab Trading Services 500 Commission-Free Trades Promotion
Terms and Conditions
With a qualifying net deposit of $100,000, earn 500 commission-free online trades.
Offer valid for individuals who make a qualifying net deposit into a Charles Schwab & Co. Inc. (“Schwab”) retail brokerage account within 45 days of enrollment in the offer. Net deposits are assets deposited into the enrolled account minus assets withdrawn from the account and transferred out of Schwab. Only assets new to Schwab qualify; assets transferred from affiliates other than Schwab Retirement Plan Services, Inc. and Schwab Retirement Plan Services Company are excluded. The trades will be credited to the enrolled account within approximately one week of confirmation of your qualifying net deposit. Trades apply only to base equity, exchange-traded fund (ETF), and options commissions and options per-contract fees up to 20 contracts per trade (standard per-contract fees apply for additional contracts). Foreign transaction, exchange, and regulatory fees still apply. Only trades placed through Schwab.com, Schwab trading platforms, and Schwab Wireless are eligible. Trades will expire 730 days after being credited to your account and will not be applied to previously executed trades. No credit will be given for unexecuted trades.
Schwab reserves the right to change the offer terms or terminate the offer at any time without notice. This offer is limited to one per account, with no more than one account enrolled per client. No more than 500 trades per client may be received pursuant to all promotional offers in any 12-month period. This offer does not apply to brokerage accounts managed by independent investment advisors or enrolled in an advisory service, the Schwab Global Account™, ERISA-covered retirement plans, certain tax-qualified retirement plans and accounts, or education savings accounts. This offer is not transferable, saleable, or valid in conjunction with any other offer and is available to U.S. residents only. Employees, contractors, or persons similarly associated with Schwab or a Schwab affiliate; or their spouses; and employees of any securities regulatory organization or exchange are not eligible. Other restrictions may apply. Recent IRS guidance may impact your ability to make more than one IRA to IRA rollover in a one-year period. Any taxes related to the offer are your responsibility.
1. Restrictions apply: The $4.95 commission does not apply to foreign stock transactions, large block transactions requiring special handling, or restricted stock transactions. Foreign ordinary shares that trade online in the U.S. over-the-counter (OTC) market and do not settle in the U.S. will have a $50 foreign transaction fee added to the cost of the transaction. All broker-assisted and automated phone trades are subject to service charges. See the Charles Schwab Pricing Guide for Individual Investors for full fee and commission schedules. Employee equity compensation transactions are subject to separate commission schedules.
2. Requires a wireless signal or mobile connection.
3. Unlimited ATM fee rebates apply to cash withdrawals using the Schwab Bank Visa® Platinum Debit Card wherever it is accepted. ATM fee rebates do not apply to any fees other than fees assessed for using an ATM to withdraw cash from your Schwab Bank account. Schwab Bank makes its best effort to identify those ATM fees eligible for rebate, based on information it receives from Visa and ATM operators. In the event that you have not received a rebate for a fee that you believe is eligible, please call a Schwab Bank Client Service Specialist for assistance at 888-403-9000. Schwab Bank reserves the right to modify or discontinue the ATM fee rebate at any time.
4. Schwab Mobile Deposit service is subject to certain eligibility requirements, and enrollment is not guaranteed. Standard hold policies apply. Requires a wireless signal or Wi-Fi connection. Schwab Bank High Yield Investor Checking accounts are available only as linked accounts with Schwab One® accounts. The Schwab One brokerage account has no minimum balance requirements, and there is no requirement to fund this account, when it is opened with a linked High Yield Investor Checking account. Please see the Schwab Bank Deposit Account Pricing Guide and Account Agreement for details about the bank pricing, terms and conditions. Schwab brokerage account applications submitted online and originating from this page will automatically be enrolled in Schwab Trading Services (formerly Active Trader or Active Trading services), which includes access to StreetSmart® trading platforms, the Schwab Trading Community, and priority access to Schwab trading specialists. After the account is opened, Trading Services enrollment is usually completed every hour. For faster enrollment, call 888-245-6864 to speak to a Schwab Trading Services representative. Schwab reserves the right to restrict or modify access at any time.
5. Funds deposited at Charles Schwab Bank are insured, in aggregate, up to $250,000, based on account ownership type, by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC).
Information about third-party ratings
Credit Notice: From Investor's Business Daily, January 22, 2016, ©2016 Investor's Business Daily, Inc. All rights reserved. Used by permission and protected by the Copyright Laws of the United States. The printing, copying, redistribution, or retransmission of this Content without express written permission is prohibited. Results based on an Investor's Business Daily ("IBD") and TechnoMetrica survey of 9,242 visitors to the IBD website between August and November 2015. Those individuals were asked to name and rate their primary online broker. Limiting data analysis to only those firms that were cited by 125 or more participants, eleven online brokers were ranked based on Customer Experience Index scores for twelve separate attributes. For further information on how the ratings were calculated, see IBD's Criteria and Methodology.
StockBrokers.com: 2016 Online Broker Review," published February 16, 2016. Participation in the review is voluntary; a total of 13 online brokers submitted themselves for ranking for the 2016 review. The Online Broker Review assesses participating online brokers on 295 variables across 10 categories: Commissions & Fees, Offering of Investments, Platforms & Tools, Research, Customer Service, Mobile Trading, Ease-of-Use, Education, Order Execution, and Banking. All categories, with the exception of Banking," are factored in to the overall ranking. Star ratings are out of five possible stars and are based on a calculation that combines the variable assessment with an opinion score from 1-10 with 10 very good" in StockBrokers.com's opinion. Best in Class are online brokers who have placed within the Top 5 for a category. Industry Awards are awarded based on the opinions of StockBrokers.com. Read our 2016 Online Broker Review. For further information on how the ratings were calculated, see StockBrokers.com's "How We Test".
Barron's: 2016 Online Broker Survey," published March 19, 2016. Barron's is a trademark of Dow Jones & Co., L.P. All rights reserved. Reprinted with permission of Barron's. Schwab received 4 out of 5 stars for the year 2016. Barron's evaluated 16 firms in the following categories of service: Trading Experience and Technology, Usability, Mobile, Range of Offerings, Research Amenities, Portfolio Analysis and Reports, Customer Service and Education and Security, and Costs.
Information about Clients Speak™, Ratings and Reviews by Schwab clients
Ratings and reviews are submitted by clients voluntarily and are screened for acceptance in accordance with the Publishing Guidelines prior to publication. Please see the Publishing Guidelines for details regarding which reviews are published.
The average rating scores are based on published reviews for the indicated account(s) and services and do not incorporate ratings and reviews that do not satisfy the Publishing Guidelines. Ratings and reviews are added continuously and average ratings are updated dynamically as reviews are added or removed. During the period from 1/1/2011 to 6/30/2016, 3,358 reviews were submitted, 2,465 were accepted, and 893 were not accepted for publication in accordance with the Publishing Guidelines. Sorting of reviews by "Featured Reviews" first shows reviews selected by Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. and Schwab Bank based on subjective criteria deemed relevant at the time of selection including marketing priorities.
Ratings and opinions expressed by clients are not meant to suggest future performance or the suitability of any account type, product, or service for any particular client and may not be representative of the experience of other clients. Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. and Schwab Bank cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information included in client reviews.
Ratings and Reviews are powered by Bazaarvoice, a 3rd party vendor not affiliated with Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. or Schwab Bank.
If you have additional questions or concerns about Ratings & Reviews or would like to verify its authenticity, please contact a Schwab representative at either 800-435-4000, the phone number on your statement, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Options carry a high level of risk and are not suitable for all investors. Certain requirements must be met to trade options. Multiple-leg options strategies will involve multiple commissions. Please read the Options Disclosure Document titled Characteristics and Risks of Standardized Options before considering any option transaction.
Schwab Trading Services™ includes access to StreetSmart® trading platforms, the Schwab Trading Community, and Schwab trading specialists (a Schwab brokerage account is required). There are no fees to use Schwab Trading Services. Other account fees, optional data fees, fund expenses, and brokerage commissions may apply. Schwab reserves the right to restrict or modify access at any time. Schwab brokerage account online applications that have the “Schwab Trading Services” box checked will automatically be enrolled. For questions, call 888-245-6864 to speak to a Schwab Trading Services representative.
Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. ("Schwab") (Member SIPC) and optionsXpress, Inc. ("optionsXpress") (Member SIPC) are separate but affiliated companies and subsidiaries of The Charles Schwab Corporation.