Our popular brokerage account lets you invest in everything from stocks and bonds to mutual funds, ETFs, and more. Take advantage of all our research and tools, expert insight, and investment guidance to support your investing decisions.
What do I get with this account?
By opening a brokerage account with Charles Schwab, you'll get:
- An easy way to trade stocks, options, bonds, ETFs, mutual funds, CDs, and more1
- Access to proprietary and third-party research and tools
- Expert perspective advice on markets and investing
- 24/7 service and support
- Ability to manage your money and deposits from anywhere using Schwab Mobile
No account opening fees, low minimum
Charles Schwab brokerage accounts feature:
- No fees to open or maintain an account. Other account fees, fund expenses, and brokerage commissions may apply
- $1,000 minimum investment to open an account2
- Commissions: $8.95 per online equity trade3; commission-free Schwab ETF online trades in your Schwab account4
- Social Security number(s)
- Driver's license information
- Employer's name and address (if applicable)
- Statement information for assets or cash you may want to transfer
Need Help? Call 866-232-9890
1. Account must be approved and funded before trading can occur.
2. The $1,000 minimum required to open an account is waived if you set up an automatic monthly transfer of $100 through direct deposit or Schwab MoneyLink or open a Schwab Bank High Yield Investor Checking account linked to your brokerage account.
3. Restrictions apply: The $8.95 commission does not apply to foreign stock transactions, large block trading transactions requiring special handling, or restricted stock transactions. All broker-assisted and automated phone trades are subject to service charges. See the for details. Employee equity compensation transactions are subject to separate commission schedules.
4. Restrictions apply: Online trades of Schwab ETFs are commission-free at Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. (Member SIPC), while trades of certain third-party ETFs are subject to commissions. Broker-assisted and automated phone trades are subject to service charges. Waivers may apply. See the Charles Schwab Pricing Guide for details. All ETFs are subject to management fees and expenses. An exchange process fee applies to sell transactions.
Investors should consider carefully information contained in the prospectus, including investment objectives, risks, charges, and expenses. You can request a prospectus by calling 800-435-4000. Please read the prospectus carefully before investing.
Schwab ETFs are distributed by SEI Investments Distribution Co. (SIDCO). SIDCO is not affiliated with Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.
System availability and response times are subject to market conditions and mobile connection limitations. Schwab Mobile Deposit service is subject to certain eligibility requirements, limitations, and other conditions. Enrollment is not guaranteed and standard hold policies apply. Click here for .
Schwab One Brokerage Account is rated
Rated 1 out of
One Portfolio Review a Lifetime??
I received a portfolio review 8 years ago +/-. Despite having $1mill + in my two Schwab accounts, when I asked for another one as I near retirement, I was informed that I had received my ONE complimentary review. The new account holder receives service/review, the existing ones get 1/Lifetime!
Date published: 2016-04-28
Rated 5 out of
Actions speak louder than words. Whenever I contact Schwab with an issue, whether it be by phone or via the online chat, I get an answer within minutes. Whether it be their mistake, a computer error, or even my mistake, they do not focus on the one at fault but rather on whether the issue at hand can be fixed. They understand that a customer who stay in the long haul will bring in more profit than a one-time fee that they can waive or a few minutes spent by a Representative to solve the issue.
The features of the account itself are great. The ETFs offered by Schwab are most definitely comparable to other great names' ETFs.
The fees are reasonable. The fee-free ETFs give many options, and the trading fee is well within the range of other brokers, and does not really affect the cost basis of large trades anyways.
The online interface is more complicated than some other brokers but better than some of the other great names. Navigation is not always easy but at least the information is timely and complete. Transfers from outside banks are often available to trade the same day or the next day.
I haven't had any big issue with any of the brokers that I use, but truly, Schwab has offered me the most valuable experience so far!
Date published: 2016-03-08
Rated 5 out of
I first opened an account with Schwab in 1986. I have tried 4 others major discount brokers for some of my account since then and they failed to match Schwab. I have over a dozen family accounts with Schwab.
Date published: 2015-08-24
Rated 1 out of
Can the service get any worse?!
Took them months to set up a brokerage account after receiving an inheritance. Didn't return phone calls or emails for weeks. Nothing but misinformation. I took a bath in the market because the delayed my ability to get out of equities in a timely manner. Only wish I could award a negative number to customer service.
Date published: 2015-08-21
Rated 4 out of
Good but bad commission fees
Date published: 2015-08-04
Rated 1 out of
I opened a new Schwab One account, I called to ask about adding options trading on to my account. I was told my account was restricted and needed to speak with the verification team.
I spoke with the verification team, they asked me questions about my past. Told me that I have been verified and they removed the restrictions. So, I continued setting up my account, applied for options trading and deepening my relationship. About 3 weeks later I was notified that my account was close due to credit information!
OMG!! Seriously?! Are you a CREDIT CARD!? After setting up my direct deposit and starting to transfer my assets to Schwab! 3 WEEKS! (THREE WEEKS LATER!) Are you kidding me!? So unprofessional! First and foremost, you are a brokerage firm! What business do you have running credit on people anyways, dinging peoples credit. Now it shows where I potentially have a brokerage account all over my credit report! How private is that?!
However, it's very unprofessional to take 3 weeks to make a decision after the account is already opened, to suddenly close an account based on credit! LMAO!! What a joke!
TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE, TERRIBLE PROCESS, TERRIBLE COMPANY. WILL NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THIS POOR BUSINESS PRACTICE BROKERAGE FIRM AGAIN!
Date published: 2015-07-10
Rated 1 out of
Poor Service, Never admits fault, Cheats
I had dividend reinvest set to yes. The firm automatically changed it "no" and wouldn't acknowledge their fault. I had to call several times to raise a stink and am still waiting for the issue to be resolved.
Date published: 2015-07-02
Rated 5 out of
Since the Pre-PC days
I seem to remember setting up my first PC to access my Schwab account...in the late 80's or early 90's. Since then, I've only needed to contact Schwab support a dozen or so times to answer my questions...never had a big problem. EVERY time they have promptly assisted me. My account is now 4000+ times bigger than it started out. I'm happy.
Date published: 2015-05-29