Play video: "Broker payment"
At Charles Schwab we are passionate about transparency. We want to make sure you understand what the plan is—why we think it’s going to work. We want you to feel comfortable with it, and we want you to understand exactly how we’re being compensated. We encourage you to understand what fees you are paying because it’s going to have an effect upon your returns over time. If you hired a contractor you would want to understand exactly what you were going to pay them and exactly what they were going to do. It’s no different than working with a Financial Consultant. You should ask those questions, you should understand what you’re paying. I want everything to be as well understood as it could possibly be, I want clarity.
END OF TRANSCRIPT
Play video: "Unhappy client"
That’s a good question. We believe our clients deserve accountability. That our firm should stand behind the advice that they give and help make sure that the clients are satisfied—so we have something called the Schwab Accountability Guarantee and it’s in writing and we stand behind it fully. If for any reason you’re not happy with one of our participating investment advisory services then we will refund the fees for the prior quarter. That’s part of the integrity of Schwab. That’s part of our corporate culture. We want you to be happy with Schwab. We want you to tell your family, your friends, and we want you to be a lifetime client.
END OF TRANSCRIPT
Play video: "Basis of recommendations"
Our recommendations are based on you, and your life and your individual needs. So before I make a recommendation the first thing I want to do is kinda focus on what your goals are. I take the time to discuss your risk tolerance and other important factors concerning your financial situation. We work together to build a plan so those recommendations will be tailored around what your needs are. And then I suggest options you may want to consider based on that. I’m always happy to explain the rationale behind it and why I think that particular option might be right for you.
END OF TRANSCRIPT
Play video: "Fee and commission impact"
It’s really important to understand the fees and commissions that you’re paying, because those can affect your portfolio’s performance over time. You’ll want to know how you’re paying the fees—is it quarterly, is it in arrears, or are you paying up front—is there a timeframe that you have to commit to. At Charles Schwab I can help you go through and understand all the fees and commissions that you are paying, so that it’s transparent, and you understand exactly what you’re signing up for.
END OF TRANSCRIPT
Play video: "Range of products"
When we go through that process, we go through that journey—we kinda find out what is gonna be appropriate for you. When I recommend investment products, I have access to a wide range of investment managers from across the industry, as well as our own products. At Charles Schwab our commitment to you is to find an appropriate solution for you and your personal situation—if offering you another firm’s product is the appropriate choice, we can do that.
END OF TRANSCRIPT
Play video: "Team of professionals"
At Schwab we believe in a team-based approach because we feel that the more advice and guidance that you receive, the better investing decisions you’ll make. That’s why I’ll provide you with direct access to various specialists in many different areas of investing such as Fixed Income, Alternative Investments and Global Investing. What I like about the team approach is that it allows me to deliver advice to a client that’s very customized to their situation. We want to make sure that your needs are taken care of on your terms.
END OF TRANSCRIPT
Play video: "Associated fees"
At Schwab it’s pretty straightforward. The markup on a bond is a $1 per 1,000 for most online bond trades that would occur on the secondary market. The markup of a $1 per 1,000 is very competitive. One of the things you get at Schwab is that we want you to have a clear understanding of what you are paying for, and the cost associated with it. And we do try to be very transparent with the fees that we charge. This is a prime example of that.
END OF TRANSCRIPT
Our modern approach to wealth management starts with a Financial Consultant.
What is wealth management?
Simply put, wealth management is a service provided by a credentialed financial consultant to help a client manage and/or enhance his or her financial situation.
When it comes to your wealth, the questions you ask could be your most valuable asset. That’s why, when you partner with a Schwab Financial Consultant, your questions will be encouraged and our answers will be straightforward. And maybe that’s why J.D. Power ranked us "Highest in Investor Satisfaction With Full-Service Brokerage Firms" in the 2016 Full-Service Investor Satisfaction StudySM.*
Work with us and you’ll understand where your money is invested and why, how your investments are performing, and how much it’s costing you. Plus, you’ll have access to expertise, specialists, and insights to help you reach your own specific goals.
It’s a collaborative approach to wealth management that’s all about transparency, accountability, and taking ownership of your financial life. Because we believe the best outcomes in life come from being fully engaged.
There are eligibility requirements to work with a dedicated Financial Consultant.
Find a Financial Consultant near you. No obligation. No pressure.
We believe investors deserve better. And here’s our promise:
- Partnering. You’re not just a client at Schwab. We believe in partnering with you and getting to know you so we can work together on your terms.
- Advice. We provide access to commentary and insights from Schwab experts, and advice that is understandable, relevant, and actionable.
- Choice. We offer a broad range of investment options from leading asset managers across the industry, not just our own.
- Transparency. We’ll be open and honest in all aspects of our relationship, including what you pay for our services and the thinking behind our advice.
- Value. We design our products and services with a goal of driving down costs, so investors have more money to invest.
Our Financial Consultants.
Watch how our people put our promise into action.
You earned your wealth the hard way.
Why manage it the old way?
A Personal Relationship
- Your dedicated Financial Consultant can collaborate with you to build a relationship defined by your goals, preferences, and active involvement.
- He or she can help you choose from a variety of services based on your welath management goals, including portfolio management, retirement planning, trading, insurance, annuities, banking from Charles Schwab Bank, and more.
- You’ll have direct access to experienced specialists in areas like fixed income, global investing, charitable giving, and tax, trust, and estate planning.
- It will all be backed by our 24/7 client service and “anywhere, anytime account access” through Schwab.com and our mobile apps.1
Addressing Your Financial Planning Needs
- Your Financial Consultant can assist you in creating a holistic financial plan with specific investment recommendations and a clear explanation of the benefits and risks.
- We can help you to establish a thorough financial plan that reflects a disciplined approach to investing, including risk and return analysis, inflation expectations, “what if” scenarios, and careful asset allocation.
- We can help you ensure your financial plan reflects your priorities, from retirement income and estate planning to insurance and debt management. And you can meet regularly with us for assistance in keeping your plan up to date as your life evolves.
- Your Financial Consultant can help you choose the right level of advice and wealth management services for your needs: professionally managed portfolios, specialized strategies, or customized investment advice.
- You’ll have access to asset management expertise from Schwab and over 40 outside investment managers,including tax-managed, global equity, real estate, and income strategies.
- Because we believe investors deserve accountability, we offer The Schwab Accountability Guarantee™: If for any reason you’re not happy with one of our participating investment advisory services, we’ll refund your program fee from the previous quarter and work with you to make things right.2
See below for important information on The Schwab Accountability Guarantee.
What you pay can lower what you earn.
A difference of 1% in annual investment costs can reduce returns by nearly $1 million over time.*
*Assumes a 3.5% rate of return, including inflation.
This example is hypothetical, is provided for illustrative purposes only, and is not intended to predict or project the performance of any specific investment. Assumes a $1 million initial investment with a 3.5% compounding rate of return and investment costs of 1% and 2%. Actual investment results will vary with market conditions, and investment costs will differ based on a variety of factors including, but not limited to, the specific investments selected and account-related fees.
Check the background of our firm and the work histories of our Financial Consultants on FINRA’s BrokerCheck.
*Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. received the highest numerical score in the J.D. Power 2016 Full-Service Investor Satisfaction Study, based on 6,006 responses from 20 firms measuring opinions of investors who used full-service investment institutions and were surveyed in January 2016. Your experiences may vary. Visit jdpower.com.
1. Requires a wireless signal or mobile connection. System availability and response times are subject to market conditions and mobile connection limitations. Trades received outside normal market hours will be entered the next business day.
2. The Schwab Accountability Guarantee:
The guarantee applies to the following investment advisory services (“Participating Services”) and associated program fees: (i) Schwab Private Client (“SPC”); (ii) Schwab Managed Portfolios™ (“SMP”); and (iii) Managed Account Connection® ("Connection") for accounts that are managed by investment advisors affiliated with Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. ("Schwab"): Windhaven Investment Management, Inc. ("Windhaven®"), ThomasPartners, Inc. ("ThomasPartners®"), and Charles Schwab Investment Management, Inc. ("CSIM").
The guarantee does not apply to (i) accounts managed by investment advisors that are not affiliated with Schwab; (ii) accounts managed by Schwab-affiliated advisors outside of the SPC, Connection, and SMP programs; or (iii) any other product or service made available by Schwab or its affiliates. SPC, SMP, and Connection are wrap fee programs sponsored by Schwab.
If at any time or for any reason you are not completely satisfied with a Participating Service, at your request Schwab will refund the associated program fee for the previous calendar quarter applicable to the Participating Service. The program fee is a percentage of the eligible assets in your Participating Service account(s). You will receive a credit to your Participating Service account(s) within approximately four weeks of your request. No other fees, commissions, charges, expenses, or market losses will be refunded. If Schwab is unable to address your concerns after consulting with you and refunding your program fee, Schwab will work with you to help meet your financial goals. Schwab reserves the right to change this guarantee in the future after providing notice. For additional information regarding associated program fees, please see the disclosure brochure for the Participating Service, available at the time you enroll or upon your request.
Brokerage and Insurance Products: Are Not Deposits • Are Not FDIC-Insured • Are Not Insured By Any Federal Government Agency • Are Not Guaranteed By the Bank or Affiliates of the Bank • May Lose Value
Access to Electronic Services may be limited or unavailable during periods of peak demand, market volatility, systems upgrade, maintenance, or for other reasons.
Charles Schwab & Co., Inc., a licensed insurance agency, distributes certain insurance and annuity contracts that are issued by insurance companies that are not affiliated with Schwab. Not all products are available in all states.
Wealth management refers to products and services available through the operating subsidiaries of The Charles Schwab Corporation of which there are important differences including, but not limited to, the type of advice and assistance provided, fees charged, and the rights and obligations of the parties. It is important to understand the differences when determining which products and/or services to select.
The Charles Schwab Corporation provides a full range of brokerage, banking, and financial advisory services through its operating subsidiaries. Its broker-dealer subsidiary, Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. (“Schwab”), member SIPC, offers investment services and products, including Schwab brokerage accounts. Its banking subsidiary, Charles Schwab Bank (member FDIC and an Equal Housing Lender), provides deposit and lending services and products.
This site is designed for U.S. residents. Non-U.S. residents are subject to country-specific restrictions. Learn more about our services for non-U.S. residents.
©2016 Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. All rights reserved. Member SIPC. CC0546152 (0916-LKP2)