Equity Award Center


Do I need to open a brokerage account at Schwab?
You'll need to open a Schwab One® brokerage account to view your equity compensation and conduct transactions. You can open your account online. You can also watch the account opening tutorial for more information. 

What if I already have an account with Schwab?
If you have an existing brokerage account (individual or joint) with Schwab, you will be able to use that account, but other types of accounts (IRA accounts and PCRAs, for example) are not eligible. For more information about linking your awards to your existing Schwab One brokerage account, please contact us.

What name should I use to open my Schwab account?
You must use your name as provided by your employer to Schwab Stock Plan Services. If you don’t enter your name exactly as it is on file with HR or on your payroll stub, you won’t be able to complete the online account opening process. Your first name may contain your middle initial.

Note for employees outside the U.S.: You will want to ensure that the name you have on file with HR and with Schwab matches your name as captured in your other banking records. If there is a discrepancy, please contact your company’s HR representative.

What is my Social Security number/TIN if I am an international participant?
If you’re an international participant, please enter all zeroes (0) in this section. You will need to enter nine zeroes (000000000).

What city, or city and state, should I enter?
Enter the city and state where you reside, not where you work—even if you are an international employee. Your city and state should be on file with your payroll department.

Why does Schwab require me to input personal information such as household income and investment holdings?
In order to comply with industry regulations, Schwab is required to ask these questions when opening a brokerage account. Please note that Schwab does not share this information with companies outside of Schwab.

Do I need to complete a W-8BEN?
If you are a nonresident alien or foreign entity, you will need to fill out the W-8BEN to establish your foreign status for U.S. tax withholding purposes. Through the Schwab online account opening process, you’ll automatically complete this form. If you relocate to another country with your employer, you’ll need to complete and sign a new W8-BEN form.

Read: Understanding W-8BEN Certification to learn more.

How do I know whether I am a “Director, 10% Shareholder, or Policy-Making Officer” of a company?
For purposes of this question, “Director” does not refer to your job title at your company; it refers to the Board of Directors and individuals who establish company policy (typically executive officers) and large shareholders. If you need clarification on your role, consult with your company’s legal department.

How do I transfer shares from another firm to my Schwab brokerage account?
You can move shares from any outside brokerage account to Schwab after opening your Schwab account. To transfer assets from another financial institution, please contact us.

Will Schwab charge a maintenance fee for my Schwab One brokerage account?
No. Fees will not be charged for the maintenance of your account.

What if I need help trading online for the first time?
If you are unsure how to trade online or have technical difficulties, contact Schwab. A representative will walk you through the process.

How can I sell shares in my account?
Log in to your account, click on “My Trades,” and then click on “Place Order.” Select the appropriate shares and follow the prompts to provide trade order instructions. Click “Sell Shares” to complete your transaction. For assistance, contact Schwab.

Is my transaction history available from Schwab?
Yes. To find your equity plan transaction history, log in to your account, navigate to the Equity Award Center, click the My Equity Awards tab, and then select the History & Statements tab. Only shares held or sold at Schwab will be seen in the transaction history on Schwab.com. Note that not all types of equity awards will be viewable in your Equity Award Center history. To view the history of shares sold that you held or sold in your Schwab brokerage account, click the Show All Accounts drop-down menu on the right and select the account you'd like to view.

Can I deposit stock certificates into my Schwab brokerage account?
Yes. Stop by your local Schwab branch (U.S., London, and Hong Kong only) or contact Schwab for mailing instructions.

Are there account balance minimums for a Schwab One International® brokerage account?
No. There is no minimum balance required for a brokerage account. However, in order to have check writing and ATM features on your Schwab One International account, you’ll need to fund your account with US$25,000—or US$10,000 for U.K. participants only.

Which tax forms will I receive from Schwab?
Schwab will file the tax forms necessary to comply with the tax code. Typical tax forms issued to stock plan participants include Form 1099-B (to report shares sold, gross sales proceeds, cost basis, and the length of time over which shares are sold), Form 1042-S (to report nonresident alien withholding), and Form 1099-DIV (to report dividends paid on shares held at Schwab), as applicable.

Form 1099-B (Proceeds From Broker and Barter Exchange Transactions) is issued by Schwab in mid-February. If you've sold stock through Schwab and you have a Social Security number, you will receive this form. Schwab will mail stock plan statements to all participants when activity occurs and at year-end. These statements should be retained to assist you in filing your tax returns.

What statements or forms will I receive from Schwab?
For your equity awards account, you will receive:
Stock Option Statement
Stock Option Exercise Confirmation
Lapse Confirmation
Employee Stock Purchase Plan Confirmation
Upcoming Grant Expiration Notice
Status Change Letter
Quarterly Statement
Annual Statement
1099-B Tax Form (U.S. participants only)

For your Schwab brokerage account, you will receive:
Brokerage Account Statement
Trade Confirmations
1099-B Tax Form (U.S. participants only)

What other communications will I receive from Schwab?
Schwab will send you activity statements, trade confirmations, and other regulatory communications either by mail or by posting them electronically to your account. You may elect paperless brokerage account statements online. Schwab communications related to your company's equity awards will be sent by email, and certain statements will also be posted electronically to your Schwab Equity Award Center account. If you do not have an email address on record, all communications will be mailed to your physical address.

How do stock options work?
Stock options offer you the opportunity to buy company stock at a set price over a specified period of time. When you are awarded stock options, the terms and conditions are described in an agreement.  The terms of the options include the date of the grant, the number of shares under option, the exercise (purchase) price, the vesting schedule (when you may exercise your option), the expiration date of the award, and details concerning the effect of a change in control or separation of service. The agreement also sets forth the requirements to exercise your option.

Your company may require you to accept the terms and conditions of your award. If your company utilizes Schwab for this service, you may do so online in the Schwab Equity Award Center under the My Equity Awards tab, in the Status column adjacent to the grant. If your company manages this internally, it will provide you with specific directions for doing so.

When you choose to exercise your stock options, you will need to notify Schwab of your intent and also provide payment, plus any applicable taxes, to your company. Taxes are estimated using rates provided by the company. You may utilize Schwab's online calculators to model different transactions and outcomes that factor in your tax rates as supplied by your employer. Calculators can be found on the Schwab Equity Award Center under the Education & Modeling tab.

You may enter your exercise instructions online via the Schwab Equity Award Center under the My Equity Awards or Trade Order tabs, or speak with a Schwab representative. Reduced commissions apply to online trading.

How do I know if I have stock options?
Your company will notify you when you receive a stock option. Grant details are also located in the Schwab Equity Award Center. Log in to your Schwab account. From the Summary page under Accounts, scroll down to Employer Sponsored Equity Awards. If you have stock options, you will see a summary of those awards in this section.

What is vesting?
Vesting is the date when you have earned rights to the shares under option. You may exercise your right to purchase those shares at the price specified in your option grant after the option vests. Vesting occurs over a specified period of time and may be conditioned upon certain performance and/or employment criteria. The vesting schedule is included in your grant agreement.

What is the exercise price, or strike price?
The exercise price—also known as the “strike price” or “option price”—is the price you must pay to your employer to purchase the shares subject to your option.

What are the benefits of purchasing stock?
As a shareholder of your employer's stock, you will be an owner of the company and will have all the rights of a shareholder of common stock under applicable law, including the right to attend shareholder meetings and vote on matters presented to the shareholders. As an employee, your efforts and the efforts of your coworkers may contribute to increases in the stock's market value. Of course, once you exercise your options and purchase your employer's stock, you will also bear the risk that the market value of the shares you hold will decline.

Can I transfer my options to another person?
Generally, no. Stock options typically are not transferrable other than upon death or by a domestic relations order. Refer to your stock option agreement for details about transfers. Remember to include your stock options and other equity awards in estate planning. If your company permits you to elect a beneficiary, consider doing so. Once you exercise your options, the shares you purchase may be transferred or gifted subject to your company's insider trading policy.

What happens if my employment terminates?
Under most circumstances, a grace period provides the opportunity to exercise vested stock options after your termination date. A common grace period is three months, but it's determined by the terms of each grant. The reason for cessation of service is a factor. In some cases, there is no grace period and rights expire immediately. Understand the terms of each of your awards. It's your responsibility to take action on your options or risk losing them.

What happens to my options if I die?
Generally, your heirs or executors of your estate will have one year from the date of your death to exercise your vested but unexercised options. Refer to your award agreement(s) for details. Remember to include your stock options and other equity awards in estate planning; if your company permits you to elect a beneficiary, consider doing so.

How do I decide when to exercise my options?
The decision about when to exercise your vested stock options or to sell the underlying shares is yours. You should treat your options and the underlying shares as seriously as you treat any investment. You may want to consult financial and tax advisors before you exercise your options or sell stock. It is important that you develop your own investment strategy, based on your goals, priorities, comfort with risk, and financial situation.

No one can predict how your employer's stock will perform. There are too many variables, and the stock price changes daily. Stock prices are affected by investors' confidence levels in the world economy, industry conditions, and your employer's financial outlook, among other things. Schwab's Equity Award Consultation Team can help guide you.

Will taxes be withheld when I exercise and sell my stock options?
Employers are obligated to withhold taxes on nonqualified stock options. Incentive stock options (ISOs) differ, as they generate income upon disposition. Most companies do not withhold taxes when ISOs are disposed of, but they generally report the income on your W-2. You need to remit taxes independently.  Schwab facilitates withholding on behalf of corporate clients; the rates used to determine your withholding are provided by your employer. Keep in mind that tax payments are estimated, and your liability may be greater than the amount withheld.

For more in-depth guidance, you can refer to tax articles by Rande Spiegelman or his article on stock option basics.

How do I model an exercise?
You can estimate the net proceeds and/or net shares of an option exercise using Schwab’s online calculators. Once you’ve logged in to your account, click on the Education & Modeling tab in the Equity Award Center, and then select the Calculators tab.

What does it mean to “exercise” my stock option?
When you exercise your stock option, you act on your right (option) to purchase shares of company stock pursuant to the terms and conditions of your equity award. To do this, you provide exercise instructions to Schwab. When the transaction settles, Schwab will automatically use funds from your brokerage account to pay the aggregate option cost (the exercise price times the number of shares) to your employer, as well as any taxes. Note: Taxes are estimated by your employer; your actual tax liability may differ. Before exercising your option, be sure to understand the tax consequences.

How do I exercise online through Schwab?
If you already have an account, you can log in to the Schwab Equity Award Center and go to Education & Modeling > Tutorials. There you will have access to step-by-step instructions on how to place an "exercise and sell," an "exercise and hold," or a "sell to cover" transaction. If you are still unsure how to trade online or have technical difficulties, contact a Schwab representative.

What is the difference between a limit order and a market order?
A limit order is an order to sell a stock with a restriction on the minimum price you are willing to receive. While a limit order allows you to set a price, it does not guarantee execution of the trade. A market order, when placed during market hours, is an order to sell a security at the current market price. Trades placed outside of market hours are subject to the market price in effect the next trading day. Please note: Due to market fluctuation, the price you receive when your order is executed may not always be the quoted price.

I recently exercised my stock options via a same-day-sale transaction. Where are my sale proceeds?
Your stock option proceeds are deposited automatically into your Schwab One brokerage account, unless you otherwise directed Schwab at the time of the transaction to mail you a check or wire the funds. Funds will be deposited or disbursed on settlement.

What is settlement?
The date on which shares and funds associated with a stock trade (buy/sell) exchange hands. Typically, settlement occurs within three (market) days after trade date.

Will I receive a confirmation of a stock option exercise?
If Schwab provides recordkeeping services to your company, you will receive a Stock Plan Activity Statement from Schwab that reports details of the transaction.

If your company uses Schwab only for brokerage services, your employer should provide you with a confirmation of the transaction.

These are important tax documents that you will need to refer to in order to complete your tax return where applicable. Please keep these documents in a safe place.

When will I have access to the cash proceeds from the exercise and sale of a stock option?
Proceeds are available on the settlement date. Cash proceeds from the exercise will be deposited in your Schwab brokerage account on the settlement date, unless you otherwise instruct Schwab prior to settlement to send the proceeds to you by wire or check (additional fees may apply). Each time you sell shares, you must give these instructions online or on the phone.

What are my options for receiving the proceeds of my sale?
You can receive your funds via wire transfer, fund transfer, check, or Schwab MoneyLink® (U.S. participants only).

How much time do I have to exercise stock options after I leave the company?
Please refer to your stock plan agreement. If you have multiple awards, the terms and conditions may vary.

What is a restricted stock unit?
A restricted stock unit (RSU) is the right to receive company stock when vesting conditions are met. The units are restricted because they are subject to forfeiture. Upon vesting, restricted stock units convert to shares of company common stock. RSUs are typically issued at zero cost (no acquisition cost). Taxable compensation is earned when the risk of forfeiture is eliminated (typically the vest date, but not always) and constructive receipt occurs.

How is an RSU restricted?
Restricted stock units might only vest, for example, after a specific amount of time or only if certain performance conditions are achieved. The terms of your RSU specify the vesting requirements. Restrictions lapse (are eliminated) upon vesting.

I was awarded restricted stock. Where do I view my award?
You’ll need to log in to your Schwab account to view your award on the Schwab Equity Award Center. Award details appear under the My Equity Awards tab. If you do not have a brokerage account, open your Schwab account now.

What is a grant agreement (also called an “award agreement”)?
A grant agreement is a legal document that outlines the terms and conditions of the award. The agreement is between the award recipient and the issuing company, whose Board of Directors (or a committee thereof) authorizes the issuance or grant of the awards. Stock options, restricted stock units, restricted stock awards, and stock appreciation rights, collectively, may be referred to as equity awards. You may be required to accept the terms and conditions of your equity award before you are permitted to exercise your stock option or appreciation right or otherwise receive shares upon vesting of restricted stock. Learn how to view and accept your grant online at Schwab.

How does an RSU become a share?
Upon vesting, RSUs convert to shares of company common stock.

Am I taxed on my RSUs?
You earn taxable compensation when the RSU is no longer subject to a substantial risk of forfeiture and constructive receipt occurs. Typically, this occurs on the vest date. Upon vesting, taxable compensation is equal to the spread between the fair market value and the award price. Because most RSUs are issued at no cost, taxable compensation is usually the number of shares issued multiplied by the fair market value of company stock; otherwise, it’s the spread (the difference between the cost and fair market value of the stock, multiplied by the number of shares issued).

Fair market value is defined by your equity agreement and may be a value other than the current company stock price. For example, it may be the prior day’s closing stock price, the closing price of stock on the vest date, or the average of the high price and the low price on the vest date.

Proceeds from the sale of these shares will be subject to capital gains tax. Tax implications of equity awards are complex and vary by state, local jurisdiction, and country.

The tax information contained herein is general in nature and is not advice. Please consult with a personal tax advisor to understand the specific tax implications for stock transactions based on your unique financial circumstances.

Will my employer withhold taxes when my RSUs vest?
Companies are obligated to withhold taxes for compensation earned. Different payment methods may be available for you to meet your tax liability upon vesting of RSUs. The most common method of payment is share withholding, where the company withholds enough shares to cover the tax liability and deposits net shares to your brokerage account. Some companies permit other methods, such as cash or sell-to-cover transactions. All methods are supported by Schwab, but only the methods authorized by your company will be available to you.

How is the tax withholding rate calculated?
Your employer calculates tax withholding rates based on country, state, and local tax jurisdiction rules.

What are my alternatives for generating funds to cover the tax withholding obligation when RSUs vest?
Your company determines permissible payment methods to cover taxes for equity award transactions, and those are the payment methods available to you through Schwab. If your company permits multiple payment methods, a default method will apply unless you elect an alternate method prior to the vest date. Your election will apply to future transactions. Certain countries require repatriation of proceeds; in those countries, the payment method is limited to sell-to-cover transactions.

Payment methods supported by Schwab include:

Share withholding: Shares sufficient to cover the tax liability are withheld, and net shares are deposited to your brokerage account. The share value is the current or fair market value of the company’s common stock on the transaction date.

Sell all: All shares are sold, and sale proceeds (net of taxes) are deposited into your brokerage account.

Sell to cover: Shares sufficient to cover the tax liability and commissions are sold, and net shares are deposited into your brokerage account, along with any residual funds.

Cash: You must deposit funds sufficient to cover your tax liability in your brokerage account prior to the vest date. Your account will automatically be debited for taxes on settlement.

Note: Before making or changing an election, review your company’s trading policy. You may be subject to trading pre-clearance or blackouts.

How do I get my vested RSU shares or sale proceeds?
Net shares and/or net sale proceeds are deposited to your Schwab account, where you may retain, sell, or otherwise transfer them.

What restrictions apply to selling my vested RSU shares?
Insider trading rules apply to everyone. You also may be subject to your company’s trading policy and pre-clearance process and/or ownership guidelines. Tax code also dictates certain holding requirements for beneficial tax treatment. Understand the tax implications prior to engaging in the sale of stock. Visit the Equity Award Knowledge Center to learn more.

How do I sell my vested RSU shares after they have been delivered to my Schwab One brokerage account?
To sell shares, log in to your Schwab One brokerage account. Navigate to the Trade tab and then the Stocks sub-tab. Place your order in the Order Entry screen, and follow the three-step process to sell your shares. Alternatively, you may place your trade through a Schwab Participant Services Representative. Commissions, SEC fees, and order handling fees apply.

Can I arrange in advance to sell my RSU shares when they vest under a Rule 10b5-1 trading plan?
If your company permits, you may enter into a company-approved 10b5-1 trading plan. Such a plan must include an instruction to the broker to sell at the market price, typically after market close, on the vest date (or the first trading day after the vest date, if the vest date is not a trading day). You must sell a sufficient number of vested RSU shares to generate funds to pay the estimated required tax withholding (a “tax sale”), unless you are prepared to pay cash in advance to cover applicable tax withholding.

To implement a trading plan covering RSUs to be sold upon vesting, contact your employer and obtain an estimate of the number of shares that must be sold to satisfy the tax withholding. If the proceeds of the tax sale are not sufficient to cover all required tax withholding, your employer will collect any shortage from you. If you implement a trading plan covering RSUs that includes a tax sale, all of your RSU shares will be delivered upon vesting to your account with the broker executing the plan, even if not all of such shares are scheduled for sale under the plan.

You may also establish a trading plan with respect to RSU shares after they have vested. In that case, your plan should not provide for trades to occur sooner than you expect to have the shares available in your brokerage account. Allow at least three trading days after the vest date for trades scheduled through Charles Schwab, and a longer period if you must first transfer the shares from Charles Schwab to another broker.

What happens to my restricted stock when I leave the company?
Participants should review their grant agreements or consult with their former employer regarding terms and conditions on vested and unvested equity awards. Schwab is not permitted to interpret grant agreements or plan documents.

What is an Employee Stock Purchase Plan?
An Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP) is a broad-based benefit plan that provides employees with the opportunity to acquire shares of their employer's stock at a discount to the market price using after-tax payroll deductions. The acquired shares are deposited into your Schwab Equity Award Center (EAC).

How do I enroll in the ESPP?
When you become eligible, you will receive an enrollment email from your employer or Schwab prior to your employer's open enrollment period. Check with your stock team, HR department, or legal group for details on important dates and procedures.

Can I make changes to my ESPP contribution rate?
Yes, usually. The types of changes permitted will be outlined in the ESPP. Changes, if permitted, may occur during open enrollment periods. Withdrawals generally are permitted anytime. Refer to your ESPP for details.

How do I sell my ESPP shares at Schwab?
Follow these steps after logging in to your account:

Select the My Trades tab.
Select the Positions tab.
Input the number of shares you want to sell in the Sale Qty. section. The system will walk you through the rest of the transaction.

What are my cash distribution choices once I sell my ESPP shares?
Your choices include:

Hold Proceeds: Your proceeds remain in your account but do not earn interest.

Transfer/Journal Proceeds to Schwab Brokerage Account: Your proceeds transfer to your retail Schwab brokerage account.

Schwab MoneyLink®: Your proceeds will transfer from your retail Schwab brokerage account to your personal bank account. Available to U.S. participants only.

Check: Schwab will send your proceeds via check at no charge. Charges may apply for rush or certified delivery.

How do I transfer my brokerage funds between Schwab and another bank?
In the U.S., you can use Schwab MoneyLink to transfer funds between financial institutions at no charge. Simply log in to your Schwab account. After selecting the Account tab, choose the Transfers and Payments tab and then the Add External Account tab, and follow the prompts. Alternatively, you can submit a MoneyLink Electronic Funds Transfer Form to Schwab. Follow the instructions on the form, and then sign and return the form to Schwab. MoneyLink is only available for U.S. employees.

Can I transfer/gift my ESPP shares out of my Schwab account?
Yes, but you may have to hold your shares for a specified period of time before a transfer/gift is permitted. You have the ability to move shares in a variety of ways:

Transfer shares from Schwab’s Equity Award Center to your Schwab brokerage account.
Transfer shares to another brokerage firm.
Request a stock certificate.
Gift shares to another person or organization.

Fees may apply. Please contact Schwab for details.

How do I transfer/gift my ESPP shares out of my Schwab account?
Log in to your account.
Choose the My Equity Awards tab at the top of the page.
Click the Share Holdings tab.
Choose the lot of stock you wish to transfer/gift. In certain instances, a share transfer or gift of shares may be a taxable event; consult your tax advisor.

Fees may apply. Please contact Schwab for details.

Transferring/gifting your ESPP shares out of the Equity Award Center will remove your ability to automatically track your holdings and cost basis details. Gifting of shares may result in a taxable event. Please contact your tax advisor to discuss any tax consequences.

How do I sell a fractional ESPP share?
You may sell a fractional ESPP share online through the Schwab Equity Award Center, or through a registered representative by calling Schwab.

Will I be able to make additional contributions to the ESPP at Schwab?
No. Your contributions can be made through payroll deduction only.

Will taxes be withheld when I purchase ESPP shares?
Most countries do not require withholding at the time of ESPP share purchase. Please refer to your country's requirements.

Will taxes be withheld when I sell ESPP shares?
In some countries, sales of your ESPP shares may be taxable. However, no withholding will occur at Schwab. Where required by law, tax withholding may occur through payroll deductions. Please consult with your local payroll department for further information.

How do I terminate my participation in the ESPP?
If your company uses Schwab's Equity Award Center for enrollment, follow these instructions: After you've logged in to your Schwab account and clicked to enter the Equity Award Center, select the My Equity Awards tab and then the ESPP Enrollment tab; from there, you may enter your request to withdraw your participation in the ESPP.

Read Cost Basis facts for stock plan participants.

View Cost Basis tutorial videos.

I sold stock options. Do I need to report the sale to the IRS when I do my taxes?
Yes, you need to report the cost basis on stock sales when you file your tax return. Stock sales are provided to you on form 1099-B. You can use this form to assist with your tax filing.

Are there equity award transactions where I may need to adjust my cost basis?
Yes. Due to the complexity of equity award transactions please refer to the Participant Fact Sheet to learn more about specific cost basis guidelines broken down by equity award type.

Are equity award transactions (Options, ESPP, RS) considered a “purchase” for purposes of cost basis and wash sales?
Yes. The acquisition of company stock is a purchase, whether it is an open market purchase or an acquisition through an equity compensation plan or Employee Stock Purchase Plan.

Individual taxpayers are obligated to report cost basis on all sales when they file their taxes. Brokers, however, starting on or after January 1, 2011, are obligated to report cost basis to the IRS only on the sale of "covered" securities. Restricted stock awards and restricted stock units are considered by the IRS as non-covered securities. For restricted stock awards and units, Schwab will provide the cost basis to participants, if known, and will report it as non-covered to the IRS. To learn more about covered and non-covered securities please refer to the Participant Fact Sheet.

Wash sale rules are distinct from cost basis reporting rules. A wash sale occurs when an investor realizes a loss from the sale of stock and then buys, within 30 days before or after the sale, the same or a substantially identical security. In your account, please see Guidance > Taxes > Cost Basis Reporting > Cost Basis Wash Sales for further information on wash sales. Equity compensation transactions in your Schwab One retail brokerage accounts are not tracked for wash sale purposes. It's important for clients to consider wash sale reporting, as well as trading activity in the same or a substantially identical security across accounts within Schwab or at other firms. You can also find general tax information for equity awards in the Tax Center. Log into your account here. On the Equity Award dashboard, navigate to the section titled Knowledge Center and select the type of award you have received. Click on link to access in-depth premium content. A screen will pop up asking you to click to continue to myStockOptions.com. The Tax Center will populate once you click the myStockOptions.com link.

If you have ESPP shares, you may notice changes as it relates to adjustments on your cost basis related to wash sales. Starting 1/1/2018 Schwab will no longer be adjusting your transactions to reflect wash sales. Any adjustment made prior to 1/1/2018 will still be provided to you for your reference on your 1099, but beginning 1/1/2018 we will no longer adjust any lots for future wash sales. Please work with your tax advisor or call our Participant Services center for more information on what wash sales mean to you and to ensure proper reporting at tax time.

Where can I learn more about the cost basis associated with stock plan transactions and tax reporting on stock plan transactions?
Consult with a tax advisor to address your specific circumstances. To learn more about stock plan transactions, please refer to the Participant Fact Sheet. You also can learn more by logging into Schwab.com and go to your Equity Awards account. On the Equity Award dashboard, navigate to the section titled Knowledge Center and select the type of award you have received. Click on link to access in-depth premium content. A screen will pop up asking you to click to continue to myStockOptions.com. The Tax Center will populate once you click the myStockOptions.com link. This site includes very detailed explanations, examples and wizards for completing IRS Form 8949 and Schedule D. Finally, you can learn more about cost basis for non-stock plan awards by going to schwab.com/costbasis.

What should I do if I have missing or incorrect cost basis?
If you have any questions about missing or incorrect cost basis on stock plan transactions, please contact Schwab Stock Plan Services at 800-654-2593.

I transferred some shares to my Schwab account from another broker. Can I get the cost basis updated, or do I need to provide it to Schwab?
Cost basis on shares acquired on or after January 1, 2011, should transfer with the shares. However, it’s always a good practice to review your account regularly, especially after any account activity. If the cost basis is incorrect on the transferred shares, please contact Schwab Stock Plan Services at 800-654-2593.

Contact Us

Schwab Stock Plan Specialists are available by phone, Monday through Friday, 24 hours a day.

Outside the U.S.:
Call toll-free with an international dialing instructions.

Speak with a Schwab Stock Plan Specialist:


Monday through Friday, 24 hours a day

Outside the U.S.:
Call toll-free using our
international dialing instructions.

Find a branch


Helpful Links

Understand your Restricted Stock Units?

Explore vesting, options & more.

Click to watch