New investors, get a head start with the Schwab Starter Kit™.
Open an account and get $50 to split across the top five stocks in the S&P 500®, and more.
You deserve more. We can help.
Look forward to planning with Schwab.
Find out how planning helps you take control of your tomorrow.
Jumpstart your investing with a robo-advisor.
Schwab Intelligent Portfolios® is a robo-advisory service that helps build and manage your portfolio so you don't have to. Add our Premium service for unlimited guidance from a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNERTM professional, now for a monthly subscription fee.
Investor's Business Daily Best Online Brokers 2021
Schwab was rated a Top Broker in the 2021 Investor's Business Daily Best of the Online Brokers Survey.
Important information about our relationship with you: Client Relationship Summaries
Our Client Relationship Summaries offer a brief summary of our services, fees, and obligations when we work with you in a broker-dealer or an investment advisory relationship. Learn more at schwab.com/transparency >
We encourage your questions.
Here are answers to some top questions from investors like you:
- What is the Schwab Security Guarantee?
- How much does it cost to work with Schwab?
- $0 online listed stock, option, and ETF trade commissions1,2
- Thousands of non-load, no-transaction-fee mutual funds3
- No charge to work with a Schwab Financial Consultant (other account fees, fund expenses, and brokerage commissions may apply)
There are certain eligibility requirements for working with a dedicated Financial Consultant.
1. Standard online $0 commission does not apply to over-the-counter (OTC) equities, transaction-fee mutual funds, futures, fixed-income investments, or trades placed directly on a foreign exchange or in the Canadian market. Options trades will be subject to the standard $0.65 per-contract fee. Service charges apply for trades placed through a broker ($25) or by automated phone ($5). Exchange process, ADR, and Stock Borrow fees still apply. See the Charles Schwab Pricing Guide for Individual Investors for full fee and commission schedules.
2. ETFs at Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. ("Schwab") which are U.S. exchange-listed can be traded without a commission on buy and sell transactions made online in a Schwab account. Unlisted ETFs are subject to a commission. Please see pricing guide for additional information. Schwab does not receive payment to promote any particular ETF to its customers. Schwab's affiliate Charles Schwab Investment Management, Inc. ("CSIM") serves as investment advisor to the Schwab ETFs, which compensate CSIM out of the applicable operating expense ratios. The amount of the fees is disclosed in the prospectus of each ETF.
3. Trades in no load funds available through Schwab's Mutual Fund OneSource® service (including Schwab Funds), as well as certain other funds, are available without transaction fees when placed through schwab.com or our automated phone channels. For each of these trade orders placed through a broker, a $25 service charge applies. Schwab's short-term redemption fee of $49.95 will be charged on redemption of funds purchased through Mutual Fund OneSource® service and held for 90 days or less. Schwab reserves the right to change the funds we make available without transaction fees and to reinstate fees on any funds. Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. receives remuneration from fund companies participating in the Mutual Fund OneSource service for recordkeeping and shareholder services and other administrative services. Schwab also may receive remuneration from transaction fee fund companies for certain administrative services.
There are no fees to open or maintain your account. Other account fees, fund expenses, and brokerage commissions may apply.
- How do I open an account?
You can open an account online, by phone, or in one of over 300 branches.
Click here to open an account online in about 10 minutes.
- Choose your account type.
- Complete an application.
- Get started funding and investing.
Or call us at 800-435-4000 or find a branch.
- What kind of investment products does Schwab offer?
Schwab offers a wide selection of investment products to help you build a diversified portfolio and reach your goals.
- How easy is it to switch brokerage providers?
Moving your existing account to a new brokerage firm may seem daunting, but Schwab makes the process easy:
- Open a Schwab account.
- Use our online account transfer tool to initiate the process and monitor progress.
- View and access your assets in your Schwab account.
- Why should I bank with Schwab Bank?
You'll get unlimited ATM fee rebates4 plus no foreign transaction fees5 and have no account minimums while banking anytime, anywhere with Schwab Mobile6. The Schwab Bank High Yield Investor Checking®7 account is linked to a Schwab One® brokerage account so you can easily manage both accounts with a single login.
There are no monthly account service fees, you'll earn interest on your balance, and your account is FDIC-insured8 up to $250,000. You'll receive free standard checks once your account is funded with at least $100, and Schwab Bank Bill Pay™ will be activated and a Visa® Platinum Debit Card will be sent upon account opening.
4. Unlimited ATM surcharge rebates apply to cash withdrawals using the Schwab Bank Visa® Platinum Debit Card wherever it is accepted. ATM surcharge rebates do not apply to any fees other than surcharges assessed for using an ATM to withdraw cash in local currency from your Schwab Bank account. Schwab Bank makes its best effort to identify those ATM surcharges eligible for rebate, based on information it receives from Visa and ATM operators. In the event that you have not received a rebate for an eligible surcharge, please call a Schwab Bank Client Service Specialist for assistance at 888-403-9000 (or for clients of independent investment advisors, a Schwab Alliance Service team Member at 800-515-2157). Schwab Bank reserves the right to modify or discontinue the ATM surcharge rebate at any time.
5. If you use your Card to withdraw foreign currency from an ATM, or to pay for a purchase with foreign currency, Schwab Bank charges your account for the U.S. dollar equivalent of the transaction. Depending on the specific arrangements that are in place, the exchange rate will be determined by the bank at which you conduct the transaction, the network to which the ATM belongs, or Visa.
6. Requires a wireless signal or mobile connection. Access to Electronic Services may be limited or unavailable during periods of peak demand, market volatility, systems upgrade, maintenance, or for other reasons. Functionality may vary by operating system and/or device. Mobile carrier data charges may apply.
7. The Schwab Bank High Yield Investor Checking® account is available only as a linked account with a Schwab One® brokerage account. The Schwab One brokerage account has no minimum balance requirements, minimum balance charges, minimum trade requirements, and there is no requirement to fund this account, when opened with a linked High Yield Investor Checking account. To learn more about other Schwab Bank checking accounts, please contact Schwab Bank at 888-403-9000.
8. Funds deposited at Charles Schwab Bank are insured, in aggregate, up to $250,000 based on account ownership type, by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC).
Take the next step.
Have more questions? We’re here to help.