Our approach to retirement income.
- Analysis: A Financial Consultant can get to know your specific situation, including financial goals and income needs.
- Planning: Together with you, we’ll build a retirement plan that accounts for your anticipated income needs, whether now or in the future.
- Implementation: A Financial Consultant can recommend an appropriate mix of products based on your retirement plan and refer you to product specialists where appropriate.
- Monitoring: You’ll meet periodically with a Financial Consultant to assess any changes in your financial situation and then adjust your plan and investment portfolio when needed.
Start building your retirement income plan today. Call 800-305-1455.
Browse income products
Explore income categories and select examples of our products and services:
Stocks have the potential to deliver a regular stream of dividend income that can grow over time to keep pace with inflation.3
Bonds can provide diversification, cash flow, and steady income.
Cash & CDs
Cash & CDs are designed to provide liquidity and safety and to preserve your capital. Cash can fund your current spending and provide a short-term reserve to cover the unexpected.
Certain annuities can help protect your income from market volatility and provide a guaranteed income stream for life.4
Professionally managed solutions available through Schwab provide a choice of ways to pursue your income-generating goals. Here are four examples that a Financial Consultant may discuss with you:
- Schwab Intelligent Portfolios™ Offered by Schwab Wealth Investment Advisory, Inc., Schwab Intelligent Portfolios is an automated, online advisory service that makes it easy to get a globally diversified ETF portfolio. Just select “Generate Income” as your goal, answer a few questions about your time horizon and risk tolerance, and set a monthly target withdrawal amount. Then Schwab Intelligent Portfolios can build and manage an investment portfolio for you to help you get a sustainable income stream based on your goals. This service does not charge advisory fees, commissions, or account service fees.
- Fixed income managed accounts Get access to a range of fixed income strategies from respected asset management firms across the industry. Your Financial Consultant can recommend strategies based on your needs, such as municipal bonds, bond ladders, and core fixed income.
- ThomasPartners® ThomasPartners® specializes in the construction and management of portfolios that seek to provide monthly income, income growth and competitive total returns over time. With a similar investment philosophy, the firm offers two approaches: an equity strategy and a strategy blended with equities and fixed income. Both strive to deliver a reliable source of income to help you reach retirement and have the funds you need to get through it.
- Schwab Private Client™ Schwab Private Client is designed to consider every aspect of your overall financial picture, including retirement income. Your dedicated team will work with you to assess your wealth management needs, develop a comprehensive plan, build a customized income-generating portfolio based on your needs, and manage your investments as your financial situation evolves. Using our modern approach to portfolio construction, your team will help you choose an asset allocation with an optimal blend of growth and income.
Questions you may have:
A: Today a married couple, both spouses age 65, has a nearly 75% chance of one spouse living past age 85. That's a retirement of over 20 years! To make your money last, you'll need to find ways to generate ongoing cash flow without depleting your assets too quickly. Your approach may include a mix of assets—such as bonds, annuities, cash, and dividend-paying stocks. The right mix can be complex to determine because it depends on your individual situation, but Schwab can help.
A: Over a 20-year retirement, the cost of living may increase significantly. This means it's important to plan now for your future income needs to ensure you are prepared. A Schwab Financial Consultant can help, using sophisticated financial planning tools that consider expected future expenses, including health care and long-term care.
A: While some investments are less volatile than others, they may also provide a lower level of income. Therefore, it's important to consider a variety of investments to generate sufficient income without taking on too much risk. A Schwab Financial Consultant can evaluate how your investments may perform in a variety of market scenarios to help you be prepared for both up and down markets.
A: Many retirees would prefer to live off investment income to avoid depleting their assets over time. In practice, this can be difficult to do. For example, at a hypothetical 3% income rate, a $1,000,000 portfolio would generate only $30,000 per year, and that income could fluctuate unexpectedly. We can help you evaluate your options based on your situation.
Start building your retirement income plan today.
We're here to help
Clients of independent investment advisors: You may also contact your advisor or call Schwab Alliance at 800-515-2157.
1. Schwab reserves the right to act as principal on any bond transaction. In secondary market principal transactions, the price will be subject to our standard markup in the case of purchases and a markdown in the case of sales and may also include a profit or loss to Schwab in the form of a bid-ask spread. When trading as principal, Schwab may also be holding the security in its own account prior to selling it to you and, therefore, may make (or lose) money depending on whether the price of the security has risen or fallen while Schwab has held it.
2. Conditions apply: Trades in ETFs available through Schwab ETF OneSource™ (including Schwab ETFs™) are available without commissions when placed online in a Schwab account. Service charges apply for trade orders placed through a broker ($25) or by automated phone ($5). An exchange-processing fee applies to sell transactions. Certain types of Schwab ETF OneSource transactions are not eligible for the commission waiver, such as short sells and buys to cover (not including Schwab ETFs). Schwab reserves the right to change the ETFs we make available without commissions. All ETFs are subject to management fees and expenses. Please see the Charles Schwab Pricing Guide for additional information. Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. receives remuneration from third-party ETF companies participating in Schwab ETF OneSource for recordkeeping, shareholder services, and other administrative services, including program development and maintenance.
3. Neither dividends nor growth of dividends is guaranteed. Stocks are subject to loss of principal.
4. Annuity guarantees are subject to the financial strength and claims-paying ability of the issuing insurance company, not Schwab.
Investors should carefully consider information contained in the prospectus, including investment objectives, risks, charges, and expenses. You can request a prospectus by calling Schwab at 800-435-4000 or by visiting Schwab.com. Please read the prospectus carefully before investing.
The information here is for general informational purposes only and should not be considered an individualized recommendation or personalized investment advice. The types of securities and investment strategies mentioned may not be suitable for everyone. Each investor needs to review a security transaction for his or her own particular situation.
Fixed income securities are subject to increased loss of principal during periods of rising interest rates. Fixed income investments are subject to various other risks, including changes in credit quality, market valuations, liquidity, prepayments, early redemption, corporate events, tax ramifications, and other factors.
Investment returns will fluctuate and are subject to market volatility, so that an investor's shares, when redeemed or sold, may be worth more or less than their original cost. Unlike mutual funds, shares of ETFs are not individually redeemable directly with the ETF. Shares are bought and sold at market price, which may be higher or lower than the net asset value (NAV).
Portfolio management is provided by ThomasPartners, Inc. ("ThomasPartners"), a registered investment advisor and affiliate of Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. ("Schwab").
Please read the Schwab Private Client and the Schwab Private Client Investment Advisory, Inc. Disclosure Brochures for information and disclosures about this service.
There is no guarantee the intended goal, or the duration of future withdrawals associated with those goals, will be reached.
Please read the Schwab Intelligent Portfolios' disclosure brochures for important information.
Schwab Intelligent Portfolios™ is made available through Schwab Wealth Investment Advisory, Inc. ("SWIA"), a registered investment adviser. Portfolio management services are provided by Charles Schwab Investment Advisory, Inc. ("CSIA"). Free credit balances are swept into deposit accounts at Charles Schwab Bank (“Schwab Bank”). Brokerage products and accounts are offered by Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. (“Schwab”), Member SIPC. SWIA, CSIA, Schwab Bank, and Schwab are affiliates and are subsidiaries of The Charles Schwab Corporation.
Schwab Intelligent Portfolios charges no advisory fee. Schwab affiliates do earn revenue from the underlying assets in Schwab Intelligent Portfolios accounts. This revenue comes from managing Schwab ETFs and providing services relating to certain third-party ETFs that can be selected for the portfolio, and from the cash feature on the accounts. Revenue may also be received from the market centers where ETF trade orders are routed for execution.
Investments in managed accounts should be considered in view of a larger, more diversified investment portfolio. Please read Schwab’s disclosure brochure for important information and disclosures relating to managed accounts at Schwab.
CDs from Schwab CD OneSource® are issued by FDIC-insured institutions and are subject to change and system access. Unlike mutual funds, certificates of deposit offer a fixed rate of return and are FDIC-insured up to $250,000 per depositor per institution, based on account ownership type. Visit www.fdic.gov for details. There may be costs associated with early redemption and possible market value adjustment.
Charles Schwab & Co., Inc., a licensed insurance agency, distributes certain life insurance and annuity contracts that are issued by nonaffiliated insurance companies. Not all products are available in all states. Annuity guarantees are subject to the financial strength and claims-paying ability of the issuing insurance company.